Breakfast brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of other discussions on making maple bacon beer, but i am wanting to attempt to make a one without wasting any precious bacon. My idea is a smoked porter with hickory chips added during secondary then primed with pure maple. I haven't seen any recipes like this, but if anyone has tried it i'd love to know how well it turned out.
I liked the smoked porter from Stone so i was going their clone recipe unless someone has a better one. My thought is that the smoked malt+hickory chips will give an artificial bacon flavor.

Thanks
Bryan

Stone smoked porter uses peat-smoked malt, if I'm not mistaken. You'll probably want to use beechwood (rauchmalt) or cherrywood smoked malts to get more of a bacony type smoke flavor. You'll also have to use a lot more, as those malts are used more like base grains than the peated malt which is very intense. Otherwise, this sounds like a much better (tastier) alternative to the kid who jumps on HBT and wants to mash a half of a smoked pork belly and flavor with maple donuts in the secondary.

Back