Break only in case of emergency - what's your backup dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I know people will debate the merits of dry versus liquid yeast as long as beer is around. That's not my question.

I have used both dry and liquid and have just begun washing some yeast also. In the off chance I screw up (I'm still a noob) or I need to repitch or whatever, I think I should have a back up dry yeast (or two or three) in the fridge.

What do you guys use for backup and for what style?

If I can have just one or two packets that work for a variety of beers, that would be best.

I will brew a variety of ales: brown/red ales, APA, scottish ales, IPA.

I may brew some high gravity beers but only occasionally.

-=Backup/primary yeasts=-
S-04 (usually > 2 packs)
S-05
Nottingham
1-4 bottles of each type of washed yeast from previous batches

!!For emergency use!!
Lalvin 1118

I've never had an "emergency" that required me to reptich, I think most folks who think they do are doing something like not being patient enough, going by airlock activity, and not using a hydromter.

I've not ever had a fermentation not ever start. I think yeast is more viable than most new brewers believe.

But if I needed it, I guess it would be with one of the ubiquitous packs of US-05 that I have in my fridge. I use it the most of anything.

I have packets of S-04, S-05, T-58, and some champagne yeast. That's enough to handle any of the emergency situations I can see occurring for any of the styles I brew regularly, or at least any of the styles for which a dry yeast would be an appropriate substitute.

I've never had an "emergency" that required me to reptich, I think most folks who think they do are doing something like not being patient enough, going by airlock activity, and not using a hydromter.

I've not ever had a fermentation not ever start. I think yeast is more viable than most new brewers believe.

You're not thinking about emergencies correctly. It's not a "did the fermentation not start" emergency, but something more like, you just finished brewing your batch on a Saturday night, and dropped your liquid starter on the floor with no replacement, and it's a weird holiday weekend so the LHBS won't be open for 4 days.

Back