Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
Ok, I keep seeing everyone making bread that looks so good on here. I want to make some now but I have never made bread before. What would a good recipe be for someone thats never made bread before. Oh and I have the 6qt kitchenaid mixer so kneading really isnt an issue with me. Thanks.

That's sort of the idiot proof bread...it's not as exiting as getting the mixer out, and then kneeding it...and having it done it two hours, but it IS yummy...

Start there, and there is also a link posted later to another style of bread making similar to it...

My recipe is becoming the bread version of Ed's Haus Pale???? Really????

WOW...I've arrived. :D

Hmmm maybe some other time I will try that but I am actually looking for something to have with dinner tonight. But I do think i need to make some haus pale too :)

My recipe is becoming the bread version of Ed's Haus Pale???? Really????

WOW...I've arrived. :D

Well maybe, but not in my case:

batches of Ed's Haus made = 1
batches of Revvy's idiot proof bread made = 0

Maybe soon though - I have a whole jar of yeast thanks to needing 1 tsp for a batch of JAOM

Ok, I am using the "your first loaf" from thefreshloaf.com. It is
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/8 cup water

I am going to let it rise for an hour, shape it, let it rise again for another hour then into the over at 375 for 45 minutes....... any suggestions?

Ok, I am using the "your first loaf" from thefreshloaf.com. It is
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/8 cup water

I am going to let it rise for an hour, shape it, let it rise again for another hour then into the over at 375 for 45 minutes....... any suggestions?

Just make sure your oven temp is accurate, mine runs 50 degrees too high, so I have to under compensate for it.

Damn, I didnt even think about that. I have been meaning to get an oven thermometer but never have. I am going to be going by core temp instead of time anyway so just as long as it gets up to 195 in the middle will it cause any big problems if the oven temp is off?

Damn, I didnt even think about that. I have been meaning to get an oven thermometer but never have. I am going to be going by core temp instead of time anyway so just as long as it gets up to 195 in the middle will it cause any big problems if the oven temp is off?

Well if you look at the pic IIRC posted in my bread thread you wiil see that the outside can get a little (politically correct word) Carmellized (really word) Charred :D

SO keep an eye on it.

Ok, now I need some help. The bread turned out tasting VERY good, I ended up doing 2 parts bread flour 1 part whole wheat flour, but it was very dense. What did I do wrong? Knead too much, not enough? not rise enough?

Ok, now I need some help. The bread turned out tasting VERY good, I ended up doing 2 parts bread flour 1 part whole wheat flour, but it was very dense. What did I do wrong? Knead too much, not enough? not rise enough?

Are you doing the no-knead recipe? As cool as my kitchen is this time of year, I usually have to let it rise at least 18 hours, or until it has doubled in size. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and set it on top of the fridge.

No, I was using just a basic recipie.

3 cups flour
little over a cup of water
2 tsp yeast
and salt (i dont remember how much)

kneaded in a kitchenaid mixer for 10+ minutes. Let rise for an hour, then folded and shaped and let rise another hour then into over at 375 for about 35 minutes.

Back