Bread yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someday my curiosity will get the best of me and I'm gonna try using bread yeast to make beer. I don't expect the first batch to be good (although it should be drinkable) so it will just be a gallon pulled from a larger batch.

If i bottom harvest that yeast and brew with it again, without even try too I'll be selecting the more flocculant cells, and the ones that like growing in wort. Could it develop into a decent wheat beer strain in a few generations? Or would it take 50+ batches to evolve and still might not be any good? :cross:

Well, keep in mind that a true, distinct strain usually takes years to develop in professional yeast labs and that bread yeast is about as far from beer yeast as you can get without being a different species. Whether or not the bread yeast would eventually become something good is...questionable but it is possible, so long as you utilize the same recipe for each batch. It's worth trying just...don't expect amazing results and especially don't expect them quickly.

I have had mead made w/ bread yeast before that was ok in my opinion. I think beer style would make a huge difference on how it would turn out. Also, it will mutate but, beware that it can mutate toward the worse too

I have had mead made w/ bread yeast before that was ok in my opinion. I think beer style would make a huge difference on how it would turn out. Also, it will mutate but, beware that it can mutate toward the worse too

I think it would pretty much need to be a hefeweizen or wit to have any hope at all.

Finnish sahti uses (fresh) bread yeast. don't know of any other "beer"likes

Finnish baker's yeast is actually really good at fermenting wort, and a really vital part of Sahti's flavour profile (produces a lot of isoamyl acetate and is POF+). I'm not sure how the baker's yeast you have compares to ours. It produces a similar flavour profile to that of Hefeweizen yeasts.

I recently compared the physiology of Finnish baker's yeast with WLP002 and WLP380, and here is a short report I wrote up on the results:
http://beer.suregork.com/?p=3514

Finnish baker's yeast is actually really good at fermenting wort, and a really vital part of Sahti's flavour profile (produces a lot of isoamyl acetate and is POF+). I'm not sure how the baker's yeast you have compares to ours. It produces a similar flavour profile to that of Hefeweizen yeasts.

I recently compared the physiology of Finnish baker's yeast with WLP002 and WLP380, and here is a short report I wrote up on the results:
http://beer.suregork.com/?p=3514

It's pretty much the same yeast you use, except mine is bought in a different k/s-market :rolleyes:

I brewed a sahti once with bread yeast. Worked like a charm provided you
  • don't mind brewing cloudy beer
  • don't mind yeast flavour (with some phenolic compounds à la hefe)
  • don't mind low and unpredictable attenuation
  • don't mind more conventional brewers shaking their heads whilst going tsktsk all over your beer
  • etcetera and so forth

I'm definitely using it again, in (pre)historic recipes.

I'll be bottling a spruce pale ale I made with bread yeast tomorrow. I didn't use it on purpose... I dropped my ale yeast I'm the dogs water dish and the lhbs was going to be closed for the next two days so I was kinda stuck

Back