Bread yeast????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgremark

Reaction score
I will be going to Mexico and just can't bring myself to be with out good beer, forget it Corona just won't due...maybe a Bohemia but I'll need some home brew.

Anyways I have found were I can get all the grains and the hops I will have to take with me.

Now can I use bread yeast, will it change my beer flavor much?

TIA

I think you are looking at this all wrong. To me, you are about to go on an adventure and there are a lot of good beers available in Mexico. The fact that you immediately think Corona when you think about Mexican beer tells me that you might not have a good understanding of beers in Mexico. Hell, Corona is nowhere near as popular as say, Sol. Anyway...

Bread yeast is not the same thing as beer yeast. You would have a completely different beverage trying to ferment a beer with bread yeast. I would advise you to head on to Mexico with an open mind and dive in with both feet!

:mug:

Edit: In lieu of bread yeast, take strat's advice.

I have traveled all over Mexico for years and I have tried them alland they are just like American over the counter to me. I like Pacifico and Modelo Negra and I have been to homes of people that brew there own Mesczl and such. The other reason is my wifes two brothers want me to show them how to brew.

Alright I'll load up! I was hoping they could brew on there own after I left.

Thanks guys!

I like Pacifico and Modelo Negra and I have been to homes of people that brew there own Mesczl and such.

Haha! Now that you have added Pacifico and Modelo to your previous mention of Bohemia, you pretty much have the goods. Dos XX is doable as well.

Un cubeta por favor! :mug:

Are there no homebrew shops at ALL in Mexico? That'd be sad, maybe there's a website that sells yeast so that they can order some if ever they enjoy brewing.

No brew stores! Two of my wives brothers and two sisters have vegetable stores and hops (lupulo in Spanish)are impossible to find they said, guess the big boys control that show. ;(

I would give it a try with bread yeast.

Brewers yeast and bread yeast are the same species (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) but different strains. Both process sugars the same way. The major differences are bread yeast is more aggressive than brewers yeast and is bred to ferment much more quickly, but can produce more off flavors. Brewers yeast ferments more slowly, has higher alcohol tolerance, and generally produces a cleaner fermentation without unwanted off flavors.

If you try it for ales, I would suggest you ferment a few degrees cooler than normal with the bread yeast to suppress off flavors.

Bread yeast can result in a nice product. I have not tried it with beer, but have tried some very nice meads (over 12% ABV) that were fermented with bread yeast.

Thanks six o turbo

I brewed three batches this weekend and took out one gallon and used bread yeast. It took of just like the Knottinghams, I'll let you know when complete, going to do the taste test!

I will be going to Mexico and just can't bring myself to be with out good beer, forget it Corona just won't due...maybe a Bohemia but I'll need some home brew.

Anyways I have found were I can get all the grains and the hops I will have to take with me.

Now can I use bread yeast, will it change my beer flavor much?

TIA

I'd rather drink any BMC you can find, pabst, Hamms, anything compared to beer made with bread yeast...stuff is sick!!

Thanks for the links, interesting but in it's infancy. My wifes family lives in Aguascalientes and they say there is nothing for brewing beer but maybe they don't know what to look for. I will do some more research. I still did a gallon and will let everyone know.

Thanks again for everyones help and :tank:!

bread yeast in beer. i saw that on alaska state troopers, and they say it smells like gasoline. gonna have to drink an aged st arnolds divine reserve 7 to wash that thought out of my head

Back