Bread yeast as nutrient screwup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenloco

Reaction score
Hello folks , I'm writing this in the off chance someone made the same mistake I did and can chime in.

Last batch (around 6 gal of golden ale) I experimented by adding 2 tablespoons of brewer's yeast (the one sold at nutrition stores) to the boil , 10 min remaining. Wanted to give my kveik slurry a bit of help.

Yesterday I kegged at 1007, and the densimeter sample tasted like yeast, the exact same taste as the brewers yeast I used. Fined with a bit of jello and left burst carbing at 40-50 °F.

Today I served a pint, the flavor is the exact same, it's hard to drink. Should I dump? Should I wait it out in case the taste fades?

Btw, It's my only keg and I cook weekly so I can't let it lager for months on end.

Any help is appreciated!! Cheers

You mentioned it was a kveik and you burst carbed, so how many days did you let this sit before trying? A lot of people conplain about the taste from kveiks (notably mentioning a yeasty taste) if tried right after they are done fermenting (i.e 7 days grain to glass or less). I know you dob’t want to lager forever, but try giving it two weeks before you decide if it is a dumper or not.

When in doubt, especially for anything yeast related, that's the best thing to do. Be 100% sure it's all fallen out then try again. Suspended yeast in a beer is usually pretty yucky IMO. Perhaps hefeweizens excluded but any other time.

Well, Its been 5 days and the taste remains exactly the same. Debating whether to dump it or maybe try a gelatin bomb to see if I can force all that excess yeast to floc.

Need some technique for jello that doesnt involve microwaving (dont have one) , anyone got ideas?

Need some technique for jello that doesnt involve microwaving (dont have one) , anyone got ideas?

You can heat it on a stove. The important thing is to get it up to temp, not how you get it there.

Good , I was afraid it would gel up on me, and how much should I use for 5 gal? What's the upper limit ?

Good , I was afraid it would gel up on me, and how much should I use for 5 gal? What's the upper limit ?

I don't know that there's an upper limit, really. I use 1/2 tsp gelatin in 1/4 cup water.

Well, jello helped a bit but it's still undrinkable, so down the drain it went. It had a solventy flavor too which would we weird with kveik, maybe the repitched yeast wasnt healthy enough?

Back