Quantcast

Bravo and El Dorado hops?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

discokid2k

Reaction score
Anyone have any real experience with Bravo or El Dorado hops? I bought a couple of ounces of each and I have found very little on either. I am more curious about Bravo. From what I've read, they can be a mixed bag. Good for bittering, slim on aroma. Also read the opposite. Would like to try them out without making a smash first. Any thoughts?

Only recipe I have found that looks appealing but would need small adjustments on the grain bill, imho.

http://www.brew365.com/hops_bravo.php

Have read less on El Dorado but what I have read says go easy. Can taste like watermelon or jolly ranchers.

Anyone out there have a few hop schedules with either hop they would like to share?

Beer-lord

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've only tried El Dorado with Galaxy and they pair very well. I brewed a recipe someone gave me with both and it was a great, awesome pale ale. If you're used the 'regular' hops, it's a nice break.
I never noticed any jolly rancher in the amounts I used them.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a pound of Bravo hops that I hope to use in the near future. I think I will be going with a SMaSH style beer to see how taste and aroma is with them. It will be a while before I brew with these b/c I have a stock pile of beer I need to consume to make room for the next batch. Probably after our super bowl party will I be low and need to start brewing again! ;)

I will try to do my best to report back when that brew is kegged!

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
El Dorado is a great hop. One of the most fruity hops I've brewed with and has always come through very aromatic/flavorful in all the brews I've made with it.

My only encounter with Bravo was in a Comet/Bravo IPA my LHBS made a few months back. I thought it was delicious, but I think the Comet made it what it was. I don't know if I would use them alone. If I were you, I would probably do a Bravo/El Dorado pale ale. I'm a big fan of doing 2-3 hop combos in my pales/IPAs.

wolves63

Reaction score
Anyone have any real experience with Bravo or El Dorado hops? I bought a couple of ounces of each and I have found very little on either. I am more curious about Bravo. From what I've read, they can be a mixed bag. Good for bittering, slim on aroma. Also read the opposite. Would like to try them out without making a smash first. Any thoughts?

Only recipe I have found that looks appealing but would need small adjustments on the grain bill, imho.

http://www.brew365.com/hops_bravo.php

Have read less on El Dorado but what I have read says go easy. Can taste like watermelon or jolly ranchers.

Anyone out there have a few hop schedules with either hop they would like to share?
I love El Dorado hops, they are one of my favorite and I use them in my pale ale.

Hop schedule for it is:
.5 oz Magnum 60 Min
1 oz El Dorado 15 Min
1 oz El Dorado 5 Min

I have had many people compliment the flavors and aroma of these hops and the flavors that come through. I get a strong stonefruit flavor with these additions, similar to pear. They can be a little sweet and I can see where the jolly rancher can play if you use too much, but I am very happy with these hops.

OP
D

discokid2k

Reaction score
El Dorado is a great hop. One of the most fruity hops I've brewed with and has always come through very aromatic/flavorful in all the brews I've made with it.

My only encounter with Bravo was in a Comet/Bravo IPA my LHBS made a few months back. I thought it was delicious, but I think the Comet made it what it was. I don't know if I would use them alone. If I were you, I would probably do a Bravo/El Dorado pale ale. I'm a big fan of doing 2-3 hop combos in my pales/IPAs.
I guess I should have mentioned I don't plan on using them in the same beer. They were on sale at AHBS and I bought a bunch of each. I tried the bravo out in a session IPA last week so I'll have some details soon but I haven't used the el dorado just yet.

I did find out after the fact that Shiner's new and first IPA, wicked ram has crystal, bravo, and centennial. It's a good beer but not what I could drink full time and has the typical shiner flavor.

OP
D

discokid2k

Reaction score
I love El Dorado hops, they are one of my favorite and I use them in my pale ale.

Hop schedule for it is:
.5 oz Magnum 60 Min
1 oz El Dorado 15 Min
1 oz El Dorado 5 Min

I have had many people compliment the flavors and aroma of these hops and the flavors that come through. I get a strong stonefruit flavor with these additions, similar to pear. They can be a little sweet and I can see where the jolly rancher can play if you use too much, but I am very happy with these hops.
Cool. Thanks for the post. I'm planning on using the el dorado in my next beer hopefully. I'm pretty glad I bought as much as I did. At least if I'm not happy, I'll have plenty more to use😁