Brass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v20craft

Reaction score
I'm new here and in no way trying to stir things up...

Having said that, I have read on hbt about the risks of lead when using brass fittings...

My question is, does anyone know of a case where brass used in homebrew caused a health problem?

(real instances, not, it may, or could,)

My hope is that this thread will come up when fellow members search about the dangers of brass, and maybe we can have some real facts for them.

Anyway relax and have a homebrew

Subscribing. I have a brass barbed fitting on my MLT-valve to hose. I've only done 4 batches with it on there. Just checking to see when I may get ill. Edit: After some research, I think I will remove that fitting!

The most common problem is with brass or chrome-plated brass faucets and fixtures which can leach significant amounts of lead into the water, especially hot water.

New brass faucets, fittings and valves may contribute to lead in your drinking water. Federal law currently allows brass fixtures, such as faucets, to contain up to 8 percent lead. These fixtures are labeled as “lead-free.” When buying new fixtures, consumers should seek out those with the lowest lead content.

From John Palmer's - How to Brew

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

In answer to the original question: the WHO advises that there is no safe minimum level of lead exposure.

Brass is becoming less of an issue. In California, all brass fittings for potable water are lead free (<0.25% Pb). By 2014 that will apply across the USA.

I would advise playing it safe in some respects. The EU still allows up to 4% Pb in copper alloys including fittings for drinking water. I would stay away from chromed fittings in general because they are usually intended for hot water and drainage. Garden hose fittings are also suspect.

The majority of documented lead poisoning cases result from ingestion of airborne lead particles from lead bearing paint, typically from older homes or industries that used lead paint before it was prohibited.

I build my first mash tun this past weekend. I used only brass parts labeled as lead free. I was able to find all the brass fittings at home depot. I did the 2:1 vinegar to peroxide soak just to be safe.

The majority of documented lead poisoning cases result from ingestion of airborne lead particles from lead bearing paint, typically from older homes or industries that used lead paint before it was prohibited.

Lowered IQ from children living in proximity to exhaust fumes resulted in the banning of lead additives to fuel.

Safer to keep them indoors and let them drink home brew.

I don't know if it would be possible to know where someone got all the lead they were exposed to if they were having problems... in other words, you'd never really know the source for sure.

I use all stainless... take it out of the equation.

I don't know if it would be possible to know where someone got all the lead they were exposed to if they were having problems... in other words, you'd never really know the source for sure.

I use all stainless... take it out of the equation.

There are cases of suspected lead exposure where an environmental survey is done at the residence or work place.

Technicians will take water, air, soil, food and dust samples and measure the lead levels. Pretty much will check anything and everything that can be ingested that could be a source of lead poisoning.

They are pretty systematic about isolating the root causes.

Back