Brass faucet = metallic taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppus_Poppatopolis

Reaction score
I bought a used tap system recently and after cleaning everything thoroughly, I notice that the clear rinse water has a metallic taste. I read somewhere that brass faucets can cause that. This is an old chrome faucet and shank, both with brass innards.
Is that the source of my metallic taste? If so, is there a magic process, coating, etc. than can be used to get rid of it. Should I just suck it up and buy a new ss Perlick and shank?

"Should I just suck it up and buy a new ss Perlick and shank?"

In the long run you will be happier with the Perlick and a SS shank as well. While you might be able to revive the used tap it will require more maintenance over time, why bother?

I use my old taps for short term dispensing when I take a keg to a party and then I clean them for the next time. They don't get much use this way and have limited beer contact time.

Thanks samc. That makes a lot of sense; I'll hang onto the old one for temp use and feel better about not sending it to the landfill.

well right off hand i would say when you over cleaned the brass. did you make it all shiny when you cleaned it? if so you most likely removed the protective oxidation layer. brass contains led in very small amounts. if you over cleaned you probably exposed some of the led. while the led content is not enough to worry about i would still want to clean it off before use.

soak the parts in a solution of white distilled vinegar with 5% acid by volume and hydrogen peroxide with 3% by volume. add 2 parts vinegar to 1 part peroxide. soak the parts in the solution and watch for a color change. the parts should become a nice buttery gold color. it should take about 5 min or so. if the solution changes color or the parts start to darken you have left them in to long and need to start over.

Thanks Tipsy. I think I cleaned them thoroughly but gently. I ran a pipe cleaner through the faucet until it came out clean which only took a few passes.
I also pumped about two gallons of cleaning solution (Brew Clean from Keg Connection) through the system followed by rinse water.
I can't see into the faucet/shank very far but the exposed brass is still dull.
I'll try the soak because it sounds like a good idea and can't hurt, right?

On the other hand I got the whole system, fridge, CO2 tank, faucet and shank, for $50 so it won't kill me if I end up ordering a new faucet and shank.

Back