Brasilian Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claudiobr74

Reaction score
Hello Friends Brewers, my name is Claudio and I live in Brazil. I´m doing my second all grain beer, a red ale, and I'm having a problem that I like to share with you. After the boil I had a OG 1.074 and was wainting a FG 1.020 at least. I used a 2 pkg of dry ferment (nothingan) and had a grate fermentation activite for 36 hours. After that the beer stuck. The gravity after 4 days is 1.045 and I see no activity. The temperature is 68F. What was my mistake? Thank you everybody.

Welcome to the greatest HB site on the net! It's not stuck,it's just finished with initial fermentation. That's the most vigorous part with all the bubbling. It'll now slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. No worries,man,it should be fine. The bubbling always slows down or stops when initial fermentation is done.

Nottingham works fast and usually finishes pretty dry, so there are a few things that could be at play here:

1. Mash temp. If you mashed too high, you made a high amount of Un fermentable sugars.

2. Was the yeast old?

3. It might be fine. Give your carboy or bucket a gentle swirl. Then wait another week to check gravity.

4. Maybe not enough oxygen? Did you aerate the wort before pitching?

Post your recipe and process, an we can help you more.

Happy brewing!!!

I still think that after only 4 days,it's just done with initial fermentation & is slowing down till FG is reached. But keep an eye on it just the same.

Hi Claudio,

You will probably receive better results from the forum if you add the recipe including mash temperature.

Hi Dan, thank you. That was my recipe: it was 5 galons

5,00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3,8 EBC) Grain 1 86,2 %
0,25 kg Caraaroma (103,0 EBC) Grain 2 4,3 %
0,10 kg Chocolate Malt (803,0 EBC) Grain 3 1,7 %

Mash Steps
Protein Rest Add 14,90 l of water at 54,0 C 50,0 C 30 min
Saccharification Heat to 68,9 C over 15 min 68,9 C 30 min
Mash Out Heat to 75,6 C over 10 min 75,6 C 10 min
Fly sparge with 17,20 l water at 75,6 C

Boil Ingredients
0,45 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (147,8 EBC) Sugar 4 7,8 %
30,00 g Willamette [4,40 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 5 13,0 IBUs
1,00 g Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15,0 mins) Fining 6 -
30,00 g Goldings, East Kent [4,30 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 7 6,3 IBUs
5,00 g Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5,0 mins) Spice 8 -
Post Boil Gravity: 1,074

2,0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)

Nottingham works fast and usually finishes pretty dry, so there are a few things that could be at play here:

1. Mash temp. If you mashed too high, you made a high amount of Un fermentable sugars.

2. Was the yeast old?

3. It might be fine. Give your carboy or bucket a gentle swirl. Then wait another week to check gravity.

4. Maybe not enough oxygen? Did you aerate the wort before pitching?

Post your recipe and process, an we can help you more.

Happy brewing!!!

Hi sendky, so,

1. I believe the control temperature was pretty good
2. the yeast was new.
3. I give a gentle swirl and it bubbled for about 2 hours only.
4. Yes, I aerate the wort with a modified aqurium pump with filter.

I put the recipe above,

Thank you for the help. Sorry for my bad english.

I still think that after only 4 days,it's just done with initial fermentation & is slowing down till FG is reached. But keep an eye on it just the same.

How long do you believe I have to wait until transfer to secundary fermenter? In my case I will use bottles for secondary.

Thank you!!!

No problem on the English. Yours is better than many Americans'!

It sounds like you made no major mistakes. I think time is your friend here. I typically don't check gravity for 3 weeks after pitching. Most beers benefit from a bit of time in primary, and Rey few suffer from too much time.

Keep them temp steady and check your gravity again in a week. It's still working, just slowly.

Also, make sure you compensate for temperature on your hydrometer.

It could take 3 weeks or so to ferment down to a stable FG. not to mention settle out clear,or nearly so. no secondary needed unless oaking or adding fruit or the like. Primary is fine till it finishes & settles out clear.

claudiobr74 said:
How long do you believe I have to wait until transfer to secundary fermenter? In my case I will use bottles for secondary.

Thank you!!!

I would suggest you just do a 3-4 week primary. No secondary needed. Cold crash for a week after a 3-4 week primary an you'll be ready to bottle/keg.

Sounds like a good recipe also!

The only mistake that I can see is that you're impatient. I could see the point of taking a gravity reading after 4 days if you had no sign of fermentation, but if you had obvious fermentation, there isn't any point in taking a gravity reading before the fermentation could reasonably be expected to have completed. I know it's difficult, but I would just wait for an extra 2 weeks, and then take another gravity reading. If that reading is roughly where you want it, take another reading 3 or 4 days later and if the gravity hasn't changed, you are ready to bottle. If the gravity has changed during those 3 - 4 days, then you just need to wait a bit longer.
If the gravity after 2.5 weeks is still much higher than your expected 1.020, then you may have a problem. I wouldn't start worrying until (and unless) that happens.

-a.

Hi Claudio.

Secondary fermentation use to be the recommendation but now the status quo is single fermentation. This is based on the opinion that single stage fermentation produces the following results.

1. Less chance of infection or oxidation.

2. During the aggressive stage of fermentation the yeast will produce by-products that cause off flavors but these same yeast will clean up after themselves by eating up their by-products and prevent off flavors.

3. Many people believe beer left in a primary fermenter for 3-4 weeks produces a beer as clear as from a secondary or even better.

Here's one link on the subject. There are others too. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/secondary-fermentation-rack-not-rack-155255/

Happy brewing Cluadio! :mug:

I'm so glad for the fast and objective answer from the friendly brewers mates of this great forum. Like all of you said I'll be more patient and wait the yeast made it job. Thank you every body!!!! Cheers!!! Saúde!!!!

Dear friend Dan,
After 3 weeks the gravity stoped at 1.036. The temperature is stable at 67ºF. The aroma and taste are good, but I'm very concerned about the gravity. Is there something about I can do? Thank you.

Back