Brand new and first batch of kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinD

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I obtained a health Scoby and starter and did my first ferment for 8 days and started my send ferment 2 days ago in 16oz swing top bottles with some fresh fruit purés. I have been reading to try to learn wether of not to burp my bottles but then I woke up this morning and noticed that there may be some mold growing on the top of the fruit pure that floated to the top and is exposed to air. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 15997848091321004649422637975430.jpg
    15997848091321004649422637975430.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
Oops that was supposed to say *healthy Scoby
*Second ferment
*Whether or not

Are you sure its mold? It could be a new, mini SCOBY forming. It is very hard to tell from the photo. Just like in your fermenter, the bottles will form small SCOBY's particularly when given new sugar (fruit) to ferment.

1. Thank you for providing a detailed description and a clear photo.

2. I agree with @Aethelwulf that you made the correct call. That does look like mold.

Some may let it fly and remove, I personally ditch the batch and clean with a bleach solution once mold is in the picture. Get a general consensus of how comfortable you would be but I would try to extract that from the bottle very soon before it spreads further.

Back