Brand new 5gal Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usafsoc

Reaction score
Is a good price for 2 new ones, but I'd still stick with used. If you're set on ball locks you can buy a conversion kit for your pin lock kegs that will convert them to ball lock connections. Easier is to buy all MFL disconnects so that you can switch between pin and ball lock at will. Next step would be to sell the pin lock kegs on craigslist (or return them?) and buy used ball locks. Granted, new kegs look awesome, and I've got a couple of new 3gal kegs since you can't find them used, but used 5gal kegs are plentiful enough that I don't care what they look like, so long as they supply beer to my glass :D.

I agree with ya about as long as it fills my glass however my lids don't have a release valve....If the pressure is accidentally to high I am going to have issues constantly removing the gas line and trying to release the pressure through the poppet valve. Sounds to me like it will be messy. A lid is cheaper than these kegs however at the end of the day I am a man of "easy button." Think that two of these will be perfect for a while and I'll sell my other four. I was trying to find reviews of this keg but no luck.

Just ordered them and hopefully they will show up by the time I am ready to keg my first batch.

I got mine last night .... Shiny, New, Cheap, I think the most important thing .... they both came holding pressure... they are cool... I think I actually like the italian ones a tad better

Just my 2 cents... lol

I agree with ya about as long as it fills my glass however my lids don't have a release valve....If the pressure is accidentally to high I am going to have issues constantly removing the gas line and trying to release the pressure through the poppet valve. Sounds to me like it will be messy. A lid is cheaper than these kegs however at the end of the day I am a man of "easy button." Think that two of these will be perfect for a while and I'll sell my other four. I was trying to find reviews of this keg but no luck.

Just ordered them and hopefully they will show up by the time I am ready to keg my first batch.

The only way it is messy is if the keg is getting shaken and there is foam in the beer. Otherwise all that comes out is the hiss of CO2.

The only way it is messy is if the keg is getting shaken and there is foam in the beer. Otherwise all that comes out is the hiss of CO2.

That's what I would hope for however I figured if there was to much pressure then it would force the beer right out when it was depressed. Guess I could test it with water prior with extra pressure just to get it right.

Should have the two new ones next week.

I got mine last night .... Shiny, New, Cheap, I think the m. ost important thing .... they both came holding pressure... they are cool...

I hope you mean cheap as in $$$$ and not quality. The top and bottom dont have any plastic or rubber protection so i would think they would be lighter then others. I like knowing that it has not had who knows what inside of it and saved me a bunch of dough. Looking forward to getting them. Will be putting my brown ale in one almost right away.

What do you think about this deal??

I think it's a smokin' deal - that's what I think. Providing the quality is there you're gonna get two for just a few dollars more than I paid for one last year. Brand new for a 5g seems to run around $119 for the Italian ones.

I hope you mean cheap as in $$$$ and not quality. The top and bottom dont have any plastic or rubber protection so i would think they would be lighter then others. I like knowing that it has not had who knows what inside of it and saved me a bunch of dough. Looking forward to getting them. Will be putting my brown ale in one almost right away.

USA,

The kegs are nice.... they are brand new, but need to be washed of course.the insides look great and they hold pressure.. they may be a slight lower grade (if there is one) but its minimal... I probably have wood for the italians because they were so damn expensive :cross:

they are a killer deal!! I wish I had a Glass Door Keezer :rockin:

That keg looks like a problem if something breaks. Non standard posts, non standard pressure relief, probably non standard dip tubes. It also doesn't list a pressure rating or NSF certification. It also doesn't mention the stainless alloy it's made out of, so most likely it's made out of a cheaper grade than a real corny.

That keg looks like a problem if something breaks. Non standard posts, non standard pressure relief, probably non standard dip tubes. It also doesn't list a pressure rating or NSF certification. It also doesn't mention the stainless alloy it's made out of, so most likely it's made out of a cheaper grade than a real corny.

"...and feline lukemia is the #1 killer of domestic cats"-Debbie Downer

Jeff!!

By all means, tell us how they are holding up! And do you have any specs on the grade of stainless they are made of?

Are these the saame thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110746739766+

Yea, now that I read the ad, they are!

DuneRunner,

That's the bummer there are no specs.... no reviews, food grades etc... I won't have a beer ready for 2 weeks then I'll try them out... The lids are not interchangeable so the O-ring kits will have to be brand specific ..Poppets look to be generics ...I think they will be fine

IMG_20110923_1926561.jpg

IMG_20110923_192714.jpg

I received my two kegs and I agree with Jeffd10.....they are great! They need a really good cleaning as they are dirty as heck. I have compared the these with the old coke kegs and they are a few inches taller. The dip tube is longer due to this and the ball locks are exchangeable. If I were to rate these with the old kegs being a 10 they would be a 9 and this is due to the lack of plastic/rubber protection on the bottom and top. I have cleaned and sanitized them already and will be using the first one in the next two days.

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_5991.jpg

I was just looking at these kegs and found this thread with a search. Glad to see it's a current thread. I plan on getting a Sanyo triple faucet Kegerator and was looking at available kegs. I'm guessing from the posts these kegs are working out fine for those that bought them then? I have no problem spending the $125 or so for the common corny's new, but if I can save this much I would certainly love to go with these so long as they hold up as well, just using it for home brewing, no transportation. One question, someone mentioned they are taller than the old Coke kegs... are those the same kegs as these:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/5_gallon_ball_lock_rubber_keg.shtml

because the height spec is listing as .5" taller on the one with the rubber. So if the cheaper one's without the rubber are taller it would be helpful to know.

Rev.

are those the same kegs as these:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home_brew/kegs/5_gallon_ball_lock_rubber_keg.shtml

because the height spec is listing as .5" taller on the one with the rubber. So if the cheaper one's without the rubber are taller it would be helpful to know.

Rev.

My Kegco kegs do NOT look like that picture in the link but they didn't post enough pictures to be able to tell. I think they are different company's. Similar but not the same. My Coke kegs measure at 22 1/4 inches tall while the Kegco ones I posted earlier are at 24.5 inches tall. The Coke kegs are shorter and fatter while the Kegco is taller and thinner. I think the one you posted in the link is about the same as the Kegco in size just with rubber....in which I don't need because I am not moving them all the time like you said.

I just kegged my first batch of beer and have had no problems with this keg so far. I added pressure and dispensed some star san water with no issues. I am glad that I picked them up.

I also found this thread looking for new kegs. I thought they were a good deal, but what about replacement parts down the road?. If the parts and o'rings are readly avail. I think I'll go for it.

It looks like everything is the same as a regular corny keg to me except for the lid. The same o-rings should work for the lid and posts. The shape of the lid is just more round and not rectangular. I have beer in both if mine for about three weeks now and I am happy I have them. Will buy two more soon so I will have four choices of home brew to pick from.

Latest posts

Back