branching out with new yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyebrewing

Reaction score
Other than a saison with a smack pack, i have only used dry yeast, specifically s04 and s05. I am getting ready to brew my next couple of beers, a west coast ipa and a scottish strong. What are some good choices for these types? I have a hard time steering away from s04 due to that great clear beer and compact yeast cake. Is a scottish or irish yeast going to make that big a difference? How about the ipa? Isnt s05 the dry version of the 1056? Set me straight please

As for the IPA, 1056 is the house strain from Sierra Nevada and would make an excellent American style ale. Although, as far as I know, Stone's house strain is a dry British similar to 1098 so you really can't go wrong.

Thats kinda what i was hoping for. I would like to use my standards except for a belgium here or there. Thanks for input

us-05 is technically the same yeast, but will not give you the same ester profile as 1056/wlp001. i personally find the latter to be cleaner, though lots of people are just as happy with 05. ymmv. try all of them and see what you think.

I'd definitely try a British yeast for the scottish strong. You don't want something totally clean and neutral for that style like 1056.

Personally, I'd stick with the US-05 on the IPA. I also find it a touch less clean that WLP001 but that's OK for an IPA (for me anyway). I've started using WLP001 in the Blonde I make for my wife because it's so very clean. For the Scottish, I'd try WLP028 or 041 if you're looking for something a bit different.

Personally, I'd stick with the US-05 on the IPA. I also find it a touch less clean that WLP001 but that's OK for an IPA (for me anyway). I've started using WLP001 in the Blonde I make for my wife because it's so very clean. For the Scottish, I'd try WLP028 or 041 if you're looking for something a bit different.

So what exactly will the 28 or 41 give me over the s04? Just trying to figure if change is reallu better, or noticeable

So what exactly will the 28 or 41 give me over the s04? Just trying to figure if change is reallu better, or noticeable

In my experience, S-04 produces some fruity esters that can mask some hop and malt complexities. 028 claims to play better to both. I don't have firsthand experience with it, but I'd definitely try it if I was trying to brew a Scottish Ale true to style. That said, if you have S-04 on-hand and it's going to be a headache to get your hands on 028, it may not be worth the trouble when it's all said and done.

Gettimg it is ok, its is getting two vials and making a starter for $20 worth the difference over 6 bucks of dry yeast on a heavy (1.09) beer (im a cheap bastard)

Why not buy one vial, step up starter, and slant a little so you never have to buy it again? That's being cheap, getting something for nothing.

Back