Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmiser

BrewMiser
Reaction score
If I put a 1lb of honey in my wheat beer does it become a braggot? Is there a certian ratio of malt to honey that changes it from a beer with a touch of honey to a Braggot?

1 lb will not make it a braggot more like a wheat honey beer. I know there is a ratio like your talking about but not sure what it is. I made a braggot years ago and for got what I did . It would be cool to find a few braggot recipes to go off of though

I just wondered because I have a few Braggot recipes one calls for 8lbs & another only 2lbs & then I found honey beer recipes that call for 3-4 lbs. So i was just trying to figure out what the diff was?

I had always thought 50% of the fermentables had to be from honey to be officially a braggot, but I was recently listening to a Brewing Network interview with Rabbit's Foot Meadery and I think he said 25% is the minimum.

Regardless, a pound of honey is a common enough addition to beer - honey wheat sounds tasty. But don't expect to get a ton of flavor from the honey.

Yeah, I figure most all of the honey will ferment out. It just got me thinking & that can be a dangerous thing.

I had always read it's 50% fermentables from honey for it to be a braggot.
FYI I make a dirty blonde ale with 2lbs of honey in it, definately not a braggot, IIRC that makes for about 20% of my fermentabled from honey, the taste is there, as well as some complexity, but it finishes within a 8wk period (2wks primary, 4wks secondary, 2wks bottle) and it doesn't require yeast nutrients.

Back