Braggot or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaKeyJ

Reaction score
Started this just over a week ago by combining parts of different recipes. Was wondering proper classification and any other thoughts.

A Nice Pear

Gluten-free Braggot
5 gallons

Ingredients:
5 lbs chopped pear
3.3 lbs sorghum
2 lbs clover honey
2 oz chopped ginger
1/2 tsp Irish moss
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp gypsum
1 oz Cascade hops
1/2 oz Millennium hops
1 pk champagne dry wine yeast

I thought a braggot was brewed with malt..? though the hops may give it the beer-like flavor.. 2# of honey seems low to me though... let us know how it tastes!

The "3.3 lbs sorghum" counts as the malt since this is gluten free. Some may not agree but if I am going to call a brew a braggot then there should be more honey than malt or sorghum. At least equal in weight. I would consider this more of a honey beer.

I thought a braggot was brewed with malt..? though the hops may give it the beer-like flavor.. 2# of honey seems low to me though... let us know how it tastes!

Originally braggot meant mead with hops...but we typically refer to it as a mead made with malt...guess both fly.

I've decided to add 2 more pounds of honey when I transfer to secondary. I added the original 2 pounds after the boil but read later honey should be added after primary fermentation has finished.

This is a perry/metheglin mix. Perry being pear mead metheglin neing with a spice (hops). Early on hops made it a braggot but not by todays standards.

Mold ruined my brew! Thought I got rid of it when I transferred to 2ndary.

The "3.3 lbs sorghum" counts as the malt since this is gluten free. Some may not agree but if I am going to call a brew a braggot then there should be more honey than malt or sorghum. At least equal in weight. I would consider this more of a honey beer.

When I brewed my first braggot I was also told on this forum it had to be at least 50% honey.
Actually the Mazer Cup mead competition Braggots require that honey must make up at least 20% of the recipe compared to grains. The addition of pears complicates the issue a bit but it is not a "honey beer"

http://www.mazercup.com/MCI_docs/mcm_mead_guidelines.pdf

Back