Braggot help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotaryVirus

Reaction score
Ive read a few posts mentioning wine yeasts wont fully ferment malts . Could i start with the malts first using an ale yeast . Then add honey and wine yeast to finish?

I’ve been wondering about mixing yeasts too.

I just started into braggots after a long hiatus from beer brewing.
My intended initial approach is to use high attenuating ale yeast with higher alcohol tolerance and then let the residual honey be what it wants to be, based on the amount of fermentables.
I’m expecting at some point I’ll have a brew that won’t approach the ABV that I want, and imagine pitching some EC-1118 (keeping it more neutral) or K1-V1116 (if I want an ester bump) after the ale yeast has done its thing. Probably won’t have a chance to try this in a small batch for at least a few months.

Problem I see is that I’ll probably want to stop the wine yeast fermentation before it goes too dry (probably with camp tabs; haven’t ever used them but it sounds easy). Then the yeast will be dead. How will I bottle condition???

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from the veterans here.

I brewed a wheat braggot several years ago by fermenting the wheat part with Wyeast 1010 and adding the honey when the wheat part finished and it turned out good.

I haven't done many braggots, but my mind went directly to make a beer and a mead and blend them when kegging. That way you have the best of both worlds. I know wine yeast will take it down to 1.000 or lower and I like my beer to have more body generally. Another option would be to use Wyeast 1388 (like Bray's one month mead BOMM) and let it go. of course that can take it down pretty low too. Anyway, good luck. :mug:

Back