Braggot/Farmhouse ale recipe for review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAOMarcos

Reaction score
My intention for this ale is to create a complex, grainy, dry beer with the added touch of some highlights from Buckwheat honey. The hops selection sounds kind of strange , but I liked the "earthy, oak" description of the Pacific Gem, and I thought the citrus notes of the Pacific Jade would add a nice brightness to contrast all the grainy, earthy flavors. Please tell me what you all think. This is also my first all-grain so if my mash temps or process seem strange please point that out. Thanks in advance!

:mug:

---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 5.5 SRM SRM RANGE: 5.0-14.0 SRM
IBU: 41.1 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 20.0-35.0 IBUs
OG: 1.055 SG OG RANGE: 1.048-1.065 SG
FG: 1.006 SG FG RANGE: 1.002-1.012 SG
BU:GU: 0.746 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 6.4 %
EE%: 75.00 % Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 6.66 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz Total Hops: 1.25 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name %/IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 46.2 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) 17.9 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 7.7 %
12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) 7.7 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.69 qt of water at 161.6 F 150.0 F 75 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 5.17 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.033 SG Est OG: 1.055 SG
Amt Name %/IBU
0.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 15.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 9.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 8.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min 7.4 IBUs
2.00 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 mins)

For some reason the buckwheat honey wasn't added. My recipe has 2 lbs at this point. Should I add it to the boil like LME, or should I treat it differently?

I think the grist looks great. There are many threads talking about honey additions; how and when. I favor adding it after much of the primary fermentation is complete. I simply pour it in, warming the partially empty bottle a bit just to help it flow or rinsing with hot water. That should save the aromatics more than having it in the boil or at the start of fermentation. But buckwheat honey is strong, so maybe losing some of it may be a good thing.

I'd be gun shy on the hops and how they'd meld with the buckwheat honey. I'd increase the 60min addition to 30-40 IBUs and add no flavor or aroma additions until finished fermenting. Then taste and dry hop as desired if it needs it. That's just me being risk adverse though.

Maybe I missed it, but what yeast are you using?

Quaker said:
I think the grist looks great. There are many threads talking about honey additions; how and when. I favor adding it after much of the primary fermentation is complete. I simply pour it in, warming the partially empty bottle a bit just to help it flow or rinsing with hot water. That should save the aromatics more than having it in the boil or at the start of fermentation. But buckwheat honey is strong, so maybe losing some of it may be a good thing.

I'd be gun shy on the hops and how they'd meld with the buckwheat honey. I'd increase the 60min addition to 30-40 IBUs and add no flavor or aroma additions until finished fermenting. Then taste and dry hop as desired if it needs it. That's just me being risk adverse though.

Maybe I missed it, but what yeast are you using?

Thanks for the suggestion! I may change those hop additions, the more I think about it.

I'm thinking about using WLP568 Belgian saison yeast blend. I think I'd like to get both the phenolics and esters in there.

Back