Braggot blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
So my husband went off to some coworker's house last night to brew some beer, and they gave him a braggot blend. That is, they made a batch of beer and a batch of mead separately, and then blended them together. He comes home, thinking he might make some and gets out my books on wine and mead making. He knows he would have to wait a year. I suggest he just go buy a mead and then mix that with what ever batch he had brewing. He recently finished brewing a honey brown (his 4th ever batch of beer), but it still has a week or so before bottle conditioning would be finished, but this idea has him thinking this blending thing might be easier.

So, aside from making sure there are no sorbates to mess with a bottle condition, does anyone have any words of wisdom? Ever try it before? How much would you add of each for a blend?

Thanks.

There is a few different things to look at here. Braggots should run greater than 50% honey for fermentables. Also they tend to not have hops in them. Be that as it may you can add hops if you want.

I would look into Summers recipe as an alternative to mixing a mead with a beer. Summers recipies are usually spot on.

My Braggot recipe runs 2lbs honey to 1 lb Dark DME no hops with an English Ale yeas. It has a nice flavor, dark color, nice head and will put you to sleep lol.

Thanks for the replies.

1Brotherbill - hubby likes your definition, as he likes dark beers like porters and shys away from hoppy beers like IPAs.

After I told him of your responses, he sat there drinking his latest creation of a honey brown and decided he didn't want to go 50%, but more like a hint of honey like his brown, added at flame out. Whatever. Beer is his thing - I don't like it. He brews his stuff, and I make mine.

Back