bourbon oak Chocolate stout aging questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottballz

Reaction score
I decided I'm going to brew an all grain bourbon oak aged chocolate stout and wanted to get some opinions on my aging schedule from some of you seasoned vets. here is what Im thinking.

3 weeks in primary

4 weeks in secondary, racked on top of 2 oz of medium oak cubes soaked in 24 oz of bourbon for 3 weeks.

bottle conditioned for 6 months.

thoughts???

I'm curious as well because I want to make a bourban barrel oaked porter.

I like the primary time frame.
For secondary I would more let the beer tell you what it wants versus what the calendar saying.
Different types of oak need different times. Chips might be 3 weeks, cubes might want more time. I would suggest leaving that part open, and tasting after 2 weeks, (small sample, of course,) and maybe once a week thereafter until you get the effect you want.
Likewise with the bottle conditioning. It may or may not take that long to get carbed and settled down.

I would reconsider the 24 oz of bourbon unless you have a really big beer up front. The bourbon may over power everything. I just used 2 oz of American oak chips, three vanilla beans split, and 11 oz of maker's mark that will sit for one to two weeks in the mason jar. I'll rack to secondary for a good month then bottle condition. I can add more bourbon at bottling if need be.

Think about adding half then more at bottling just in case. You can add, of course, but not subtract.

Thank you for the advice fellas! The beer is probably gonna come out around 7-8% abv so I will def cut back on the bourbon just to be safe and just take samples from the secondary as well. I like your style boys, thanks for helping me out!
Cheers

Back