bourbon oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolemitey

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and have a couple question about using bourbon soaked oak chips in my beer. I'm brewing an imperial stout. The first question I have is how long should I let the soaked chips sit in the secondary? Second is should I just toss them in or put them in some sort of bag? Also I wanted to know if this will really add that bourbon aged flavor that I'm looking for?

I tossed 1oz of oak chips that soaked in 8oz bourbon into my secondary, no bag or anything, let it sit for 2 weeks. Came out awesome. The bourbon was more apart of the beer and didn't overwhelm it.

Sent from my iPhone

Question, Do you pitch just the chips? Do you drain them? Do you also pitch the bourbon?

I pitch the bourbon and the chips all together. No draining or anything. Some people say to drain off the excess bourbon but I say why waste that delicious bourbon, and it comes out great.

Sent from my iPhone

How much is in your secondary? Curious about the ratio of beer to chips/liquer. I'd like to try my first bourbon porter soon

I'm using 2 oz. oak wood chips, 8 oz. Maker's Mark bourbon in a five gallon secondary.

I soaked 100 grams of oak chips in 200 ml of Canadian Club Whiskey for a month in the fridge, then dumped the whole thing into 5 gallons of dry Irish Stout for 5 days secondary. Came out perfect.

The only thing I could have done better was to add a vanilla bean. Which I did do for half of that 5 gallons (actually split into two 2.5 gallon secondaries). I like the variety, but the vanilla whiskey oaked stout is the better of the two.

Back