Bourbon County Brand Stout Clone Recipe: Maltster and Grain Choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncruiser

Reaction score
This recipe appeared in the latest issue of BYO. mbbransc was kind enough to post it.

Since not all maltsters and malted grains are created equal I'm looking for some expertise from the community with much more experience than me. Brewing with a bunch grains that match the names noted in the recipe is probably not going to work. There are common names for malted grains but there are subtle and sometimes big differences in taste for malted grains that share a common name and lovibond.

I've noted my choices for Munich Malt and Roasted Barley Malt. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still researching the ideal grains for the rest of the recipe.

Help me out with the other choices with the understanding that you've had Bourbon County Brand Stout.

Munich Malt 10L: Weyermann® Munich Malt Type 2 (https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-munich-dk-type2-25kg)
Roasted Barley Malt 450L: Weyermann® CARAFA® Type 2 (https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/weyermann-carafa-2-25-kg)

attachment.php

Sorry to ressurect dead posts, but damn do I wish this had more discussion. Came here wondering the same things as you. Some other malts listed in the recipe section of their website (namely King Henry with "dark chocolate" and "crystal wheat") lead me to believe they use Briess.

Now, I'm not sure if that's briess scross the board, but I think it's a start.

There's another thread with the exact ingredient list taken from a video documenting Bourbon County Brand Stout produced by Goose Island. Let me dig it up.

I was reading through that last night, looks like that recipe from the article was pretty close. I'm still betting they use Briess for everything.

I have a 5 gallon rum barrel arriving tomorrow, I'm thinking about brewing this up and throwing it in.

Back