bourbon barrel scotch ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buraglio

Reaction score
--edit: the subject should be *scottish* ale, not scotch ale.

I've been working on a bourbon barrel scottish ale and am about ready to rack onto my bourbon and oak chips.

So, the original plan was go rack onto 750ml fo bourbon and some amount of oak cubes. Since the brewing of the beer I've decided to split it onto 2 batches of ~2.5gal each, one as a "control" and one as the bourbon barrel style.
My question is, what amount of oak cubes should I use? I have seen a LOT of variation on this. What I would really like is a mild oak flavor with a non-overpowering bourbon flavor and finish.
I don't really have a way to measure weight of oak chips either, which I think may be a small issue. I really would just like an opinion of how much oak to use since I can always add more bourbon later at bottling should I need to.
Has anyone done this? Any advice?

nb

I would use white oak toasted and charred stick 1/2 x 1/2 x 6 inches long soaked in bourbon to avoid end grain which can give a harsh flavour. Use 6 per gallon. Avoid kiln dried oak! Old barrel staves cut in table saw will work. Real aged natural boards are better! Brew on!

Back