Bourbon Barrel old ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhpark132

Reaction score
Tried some Kentucky bourbon barrel ale at a local beer fest a few years back and fell in love with it. This christmas the wife surprised me witha used bourbon barrel from a local distillery for christmas, and I've been trying to find a recipe that's close (with minimal success), so I've put pieces together from everywhere and came up with this.

9 Lbs Maris otter LME
1 LB light DME
1 lb invert sugar (lyle's golden syrup)
.5 lb brown malt
.5 lb crystal 60
.5 lb Wheat malt
.25 lb aromatic malt
.25 Lb chocolate malt
1 Oz northern brewer hops @ 60 min
2 oz Willamette @ 30 min
2 oz Fuggles @ 15 min
Wyeast 1028 London Ale

all amounts would be doubled as it's approximately a 10 gal barrel

Planning on resting in secondary to assist with settling the particulates and yeast sediment prior to aging in the barrel for 2-3 months as I'm hoping to get a couple of batches out of it and it's one of those honeycombed barrels.

Any thoughts? Advice is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Last edited:
Definitely take samples of the beer while it is in the barrel. You'll be amazed at how quickly it develops the oak/bourbon flavors you want and it is fairly easy to overdo. That being said, beer ages slower in colder months in the barrel so 2-3 months might do it, but you should probably still thief a sample every couple of weeks to be sure.

Back