Bourbon barrel newbie

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Magnum25

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a newly emptied bourbon barrel from a local distillery. Is it feasible to put 10 or 15 gallons into a 25 gallon bourbon barrel or is that just looking for trouble?

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I have not made a barrel aged beer before, but in the research I've found it's advised to fill it all the way

TandemTails

Reaction score
I've considered buying a barrel but then realize it's way less hassle to simply buy oak cubes and lend flavor to my beer using those.

No issues with oxidation or souring bacteria making their way in. Plus storage between fills isn't an issue if you use cubes/chips.

I'd just hate to lose 25 gallons of beer if it spoiled somehow while in the barrel.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The barrel lends flavors that from what I've read you simply can't match with cubes.

Find a small distillery and buy a 5 gallon barrel. Mine was 55 bucks and i was able to fill it all the way with one batch. No headspace issues and store whiskey in it during non use

TandemTails

Reaction score
The barrel lends flavors that from what I've read you simply can't match with cubes.

Find a small distillery and buy a 5 gallon barrel. Mine was 55 bucks and i was able to fill it all the way with one batch. No headspace issues and store whiskey in it during non use
$55 is a great deal! for that price it might be worth trying out.

Pappers_

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I run two barrel projects right now, one is a 15 gallon barrel and the other is 30 gallons. I recruited other brewers, we agree on a recipe and fill the barrel. When its time to empty the barrel, we refill it on the same night. Magic happens in a barrel.

jam095

Reaction score
Me and some friends filled a 15 gal FEW rye barrel with Wheatwine. Turned out amazing!!

jam095

Reaction score
@jam095 you from the area then if you got a FEW barrel? I'm only a little over an hour from there in Spring Grove.
I’m in southern Indiana. Actually picked up the FEW barrel off AIH on Thanksgiving a couple years ago.