Boulevard Pale Ale Clone - Input needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greeniegriz

Reaction score
Going to attempt a Boulevard Pale Ale clone this weekend and am concerned about my proposed HOP schedule. To get the IBU's right I had to remove the 60min addition and start at 30 minutes. I know some recipes do this, however i am not sure what kind of flavor/aroma i'll get with Magnum and Zues in at 30 and 25 respectively.

Just wondering if anyone sees anything glaringly wrong with this recipe...

Boulevard's beer profile: http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/pale-ale/

My recipe....

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.22 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 32.9 IBUs
Est Color: 12.0 SRM Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min - 8.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min - 17.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min - 1.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min - 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 4.25 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 4.0 oz

Mash In Add 13.21 qt of water at 158.7 F - 148.0 F - 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.14gal, 2.11gal) of 168.0 F water

-

It seems in line with Boulevards profile, but like i said, my main concern is with the hops. I figured the the bittering hops (as they are classified) should go in early and the more aromatic added later (post 30 minutes).

This is my second all grain so I probably just need to RDWAHAHB :tank:.

Cheers

You could try first-wort-hopping to get better bittering than a 30-minute flavor addition. Whatever you decide to do, post your result.

Appreciate the reply. I played with some different times and amounts in beersmith, FWHing the Zues and then switching to the the Magnum. I think I might FWH the Zeus (.25oz) and then move the Magnum (.50oz) to a 15 minute boil.

That put the estimated IBU's at 31.6, closer the to 30 that Boulevard states.

That of course leads to another question...

The magnum appears (to my newbie eyes) to be more of a bittering hop, so will I get any poor flavor in adding it that late (15 minutes) into the boil?

Cheers

I think the 30 minute is fine for bittering ...it won't add much flavor and aroma

Try emailing Boulevard for advice ??? They always respond to my questions

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Excellent suggestion Schumed, I did just that yesterday and promptly received a reply.

Malt Bill:
Pale Malt – 78%
Munich Malt – 12%
Cara 50 – 4%
Cara 120 – 6%

Bittering Hops:
Bravo
Magnum

Flavor/Aroma Hops:
Cascade (whole cone)
Styrian Golding

They changed up the hops so I've adjusted the recipe to account for that. I've been tossing around whether to try FWH or just start the schedule at 30 minutes. Either way the projected IBU's are with +/-1.

I may have to just brew it both ways and see which turns out better.... :tank:

Cheers

Greeniegriz, how has this turned out for you? I am looking to make a Boulevard Pale Ale clone this weekend and would like to follow your recipe if it went well.

Well, I wasn't able to find the hops I needed so I had to alter the recipe slightly. Grain bill remained the same.

I'll pull out the recipe I ended up with when I get home tonight. What I made turned out great, I was really pleased with it.

Cheers,

Sorry about the delay BigJoe.

Looking at my notes and it looks like i couldn't find any Magnum or Styrian hops so I constituted some cascade, using the Bravo as my main bittering hop.

Grain was the same but hop schedule was:

Bravo 10z @ 60minutes
Cascade .5oz @30/15/10/0
Cascade 1oz dry

It appears I made it more bitter, and if I remember that batch it was a little on the bitter side (IPAish). Which I guess I was in the mood for...

Looks like I didn't follow the recipe for clone at all eh?

Ah well, still turned out delicious. The recipe posted #5 is straight from Boulevard so i'm sure it would turn out well. Really its all about getting the IBU's right, which they list on the website conveniently enough (but don't state the hop ratios). Cowtown just didn't have the hops I needed (if I remember right...)

Cheers!

Yeah, my LHBS didn't seem to have all the hops need either. Had to replace Magnum & Zeus with a different ones. I am sure it will come close and it will be drank either way. Cheers and thanks for the updates.

Back