Bought Bayou SP-10 burner... different models?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I just bought a Bayou classic SP-10 burner from Amazon, and came to realize it is described as a 10 psi setup, when same model number on Bayou' s site is a 20 psi setup.

Is Amazon's writing wrong, or do they have a downgraded hardware model?
Anybody with a recent purchase there?

I emailed BC about same, and see what they say.

Incidentally, at bottom of Amazon product's page, there is a link to a merchant for same burner,20 psi, same price, free shipping til the 14th, and pic shows a metal braided tubing on burner...

They are offered in both 10 and 20 psi models. The 20psi regulator is available as an upgrade. If you are doing 5 gallon batches, the 10 will probably be fine.

AFAIK, the SP10 comes with the 20PSI reg standard. The braided hose is an upgrade that a lot of retailers sell. Check your regulator, it may give the pressure rating right on it.

I ordered the same one a while back and it came with a 10 PSI braided hose from Amazon. It has been fine for 5 gal batches; however, I'm planning to upgrade the regulator and step up to 10 gallon batches soon.

It looks like my burner (with UPS at the moment) is going to be a 10 psi.

You would think there would be two model numbers, and why use "High Pressure" in the name..?

Sheesh.

beergears said:
It looks like my burner (with UPS at the moment) is going to be a 10 psi.

You would think there would be two model numbers, and why use "High Pressure" in the name..?

Sheesh.

My SQ14 came with the 10psi regulator and its great for single batches. Since I'm moving into double batches, I upgraded the regulator. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the performance yet...

From what I've seen, if it's got the braided hose, it's not a stock SP10. If someone's out there swapping the regulators/hoses, it could be anything.

That is interesting and you would think there would be a way of differentiating the different configurations.

As for the ones from Amazon, me and a friend of mine both ordered an SP10 in the last 4-5 months and both came with the braided hose but the regulator was very clearly marked as 10PSI. That is probably what to expect with the Amazon orders.

I emailed sales at Bayou, and a sales guy (repping a bunch of other companies) responded, said: Bayou litterature has it as a 20 psi. Was a 10 psi at one time. The one I am getting will probably be a 20 psi...

As a manufacturer, you would think it should to be more specific, or consistent. What if there is a need for a recall..??

End of burner where gas line comes in:

bayou_coarse_thread.jpg

The thread as never been taped, or the cast iron is so coarse that it could not hold the fine thread... Reminder: this is a *gas* connection!

Factory says they are sending a burner replacement part. Hate to say it but the cheapo turkey fryer I returned earlier for poor quality had a shiny thread on...

email them asap, i ordered 3 from amazon and they were missing a few pieces. they were quick to send them out to me free of charge.

also mine came with the 10 psi hose. i upgraded to the 20 psi and i love it.

I ordered 3 burners, regulator, and hose for my new brew stand from bayouclassicdepot. Only 1 burner showed up, but when I called them, they didn't question it and said the other 2 would be in the mail today.

None of the threads I have on the 4 burners I have look like that, although they're not the cleanest looking, either.

BTW - did you end up with a 10 or 20 psi regulator? The one I ordered was 0-30 psi. My 0-10 on my old stand has been fine, but I got this just in case I want to upgrade to a banjo burner for the kettle.

Scimmia said:
From what I've seen, if it's got the braided hose, it's not a stock SP10. If someone's out there swapping the regulators/hoses, it could be anything.

I'd like to rescind this. It looks like they did start shipping them with a braided steel hose stock at some point.

Lil' Sparky said:
I ordered 3 burners, regulator, and hose for my new brew stand from bayouclassicdepot. Only 1 burner showed up, but when I called them, they didn't question it and said the other 2 would be in the mail today.

Hmm??

Lil' Sparky said:
None of the threads I have on the 4 burners I have look like that, although they're not the cleanest looking, either.

Were they taped at all?
Mine should have been pulled out after a two-second look from factory. I wonder if any BC person ever inspected it - shipped right form China..?

Lil' Sparky said:
BTW - did you end up with a 10 or 20 psi regulator? The one I ordered was 0-30 psi. My 0-10 on my old stand has been fine, but I got this just in case I want to upgrade to a banjo burner for the kettle.

20 psi says the box, yet no known markings stating anything about psi setting. Another hmm.

I'm guessing that the difference between the 10 psi regulators and the higher ones is difference in heat output....is this correct? Also, what is the difference between the low output and high output regs??

hoov said:
I'm guessing that the difference between the 10 psi regulators and the higher ones is difference in heat output....is this correct? Also, what is the difference between the low output and high output regs??
The regulator controls the maximum flow of gas. A higher PSI means more gas can come through it. A 10 PSI is borderline for 5 gallon batches, and if you have any intentions of increasing batch size, you should shoot for 20 or 30psi.

For reference, my Amazon SP-10 recent purchase said 20 psi on the box, and got a 8 gallon alum. pot to boil pretty quickly outside, in freezing weather. So I am assuming it is behaving like a 20 psi unit...

Back