Bought a chest freezer today, time to build keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased a new Fridgidaire 7.0 cu/ft freezer today. Will be turning this into a keezer. I have already started collecting some of the parts, such as the 4 way regulator, the tubing, the ball lock QD's, and the taps. My wife asked that I put together a list of other stuff I need to get. So I've been looking at pictures of other peoples keezers and have come up with some questions....

1. What determines the necessary height of the collar? I'm assuming it's driven by how much clearance you need under the lid with the kegs in there, what you're going to mount to the inside of the collar, etc. But I've seen some pretty drastic variation in sizes so I figured I'd ask.

2. I would like to get one of these ITC1000 temp controllers. I think it's a cleaner look vs the inkbird hanging off the side. Problem is, I'm not an electrician. I can pull an outlet out of a wall, remove it and put a new one on because I can see where the wires were on the old one. When it comes to something like this, not sure where to start. I see that there's a ton of people who have done it though so it can't be THAT hard, right? Any info?

3. Definitely want to have a glass rinser on it. @mongoose33 has a nice one that I'm thinking of going that route, but wondering if there's any other examples of how this has been done?

4. I would like a CO2 hookup on the side for when it comes time to use a beer gun for filling. I'm actually thinking a beer and liquid line. The liquid line will just be coiled up and kept inside the keezer until it's time to hook it up to a keg to fill. Any examples of this being done?

I'm sure more questions will come about as these questions are answered. I did try and find answers to some of these questions before starting this post but had a hard time finding that.

Thanks.

1. What determines the necessary height of the collar? I'm assuming it's driven by how much clearance you need under the lid with the kegs in there, what you're going to mount to the inside of the collar, etc.

Your assumption is correct.

2. I would like to get one of these ITC1000 temp controllers. I think it's a cleaner look vs the inkbird hanging off the side. Problem is, I'm not an electrician. I can pull an outlet out of a wall, remove it and put a new one on because I can see where the wires were on the old one. When it comes to something like this, not sure where to start. I see that there's a ton of people who have done it though so it can't be THAT hard, right? Any info?

I don't use the Inkbird stuff, but doesn't it come with a wiring diagram?
On my keezer, I mounted an electrical box on the inside of the collar, to hold the spliced wires. All the connections that are not made directly to the controller are inside the electrical box.
qjWqfof.jpg

That's the back of the controller in the upper left.

1. What determines the necessary height of the collar? I'm assuming it's driven by how much clearance you need under the lid with the kegs in there, what you're going to mount to the inside of the collar, etc. But I've seen some pretty drastic variation in sizes so I figured I'd ask.

You determine the height you want based on the set up you want. The minimum height would be the height of your keg with disconnect attached. Additional height would be for extra room for line. I went with 8".

I've had a bunch of different temp controllers (ITC unit, Inkbird, Johnson Controls, etc). I'd highly recommend Inkbird WiFi ITC-308. Your only reasoning for ITC1000 unit is for looks but since the power cord is typically in the back, you won't see the Inkbird unit at all. You can attach it to the back of the collar but I just lay mine on the ground behind the freezer. Don't even know it is there. The advantages of the Inkbird is you can see the temp swings on the app and it is plug and play. No messing with wires.

3. Definitely want to have a glass rinser on it. @mongoose33 has a nice one that I'm thinking of going that route, but wondering if there's any other examples of how this has been done?

Since keezers are DIY, there aren't too many rinser options, especially since not many people put rinsers on their keezers. I followed @mongoose33 build to make mine. My build was slightly different because my collar and lid are all in one unit that I built. I would recommend just getting that same rinser and putting it on the side like he did.

4. I would like a CO2 hookup on the side for when it comes time to use a beer gun for filling. I'm actually thinking a beer and liquid line. The liquid line will just be coiled up and kept inside the keezer until it's time to hook it up to a keg to fill. Any examples of this being done?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What are you doing with the beer line?

For the gas part of that question, get a regulator with a y splitter. One connection goes to the keezer and the other stays outside for the beer gun. Use a bulkhead like this (MFL bulkhead with Ball Lock Gas post) to get the gas inside the keezer and then get a manifold to split off.

Your assumption is correct.

I don't use the Inkbird stuff, but doesn't it come with a wiring diagram?
On my keezer, I mounted an electrical box on the inside of the collar, to hold the spliced wires. All the connections that are not made directly to the controller are inside the electrical box.
qjWqfof.jpg

That's the back of the controller in the upper left.

I haven't bought one yet. I'm sure it does have a wiring diagram but couldn't tell you what I'm looking at with it.... I would need to talk through it with someone and figure out how to set this up. All the wires inside the box there, where are they going to after they leave the box? It's gotta be wired to the freezer itself, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What are you doing with the beer line?

For the gas part of that question, get a regulator with a y splitter. One connection goes to the keezer and the other stays outside for the beer gun. Use a bulkhead like this (MFL bulkhead with Ball Lock Gas post) to get the gas inside the keezer and then get a manifold to split off.

I suppose I wasn't very clear. I have a beer gun that has the 1/4" female swivel nuts on it - 1 line for liquid and a 2nd line for CO2 for purging bottles prior to filling. My thinking is this - if I could have (2) MFL connections on the outside of the collar (1 for gas, 1 for beer), I could easily hook up my bottling gun to the collar and fill a few bottles or whatever is needed. The CO2 on the inside will always be connected and for the beer line, i'll have a line ready to go so when I want to fill, I disconnect the tap line to that keg and hook up the beer line that leads to the beer gun. Make sense now?

I would use these going through the collar...

1609797882841.png

I suppose I wasn't very clear. I have a beer gun that has the 1/4" female swivel nuts on it - 1 line for liquid and a 2nd line for CO2 for purging bottles prior to filling. My thinking is this - if I could have (2) MFL connections on the outside of the collar (1 for gas, 1 for beer), I could easily hook up my bottling gun to the collar and fill a few bottles or whatever is needed. The CO2 on the inside will always be connected and for the beer line, i'll have a line ready to go so when I want to fill, I disconnect the tap line to that keg and hook up the beer line that leads to the beer gun. Make sense now?

I would use these going through the collar...

View attachment 713086

That's exactly what you should do.

All the wires inside the box there, where are they going to after they leave the box? It's gotta be wired to the freezer itself, right?

Yes. Notice the two orange cables. One of those goes to a wall plug. The other goes to the freezer.

Yes. Notice the two orange cables. One of those goes to a wall plug. The other goes to the freezer.

And that's where I get lost. i wouldn't know how to wire that to a wall plug and I wouldnt' know how to wire it to the freezer. I'm sure with a bit of help here, I could get it done...

And that's where I get lost. i wouldn't know how to wire that to a wall plug and I wouldnt' know how to wire it to the freezer. I'm sure with a bit of help here, I could get it done...

Once you see a wiring diagram, it will make more sense. Wherever (on the diagram) you see multiple "free" wires coming together (i.e. those ends not being attached directly to a device), you'll make a connection with an insulated wire nut. All of that can then be tucked safely into a box. The rest of the wire ends will be attached directly to the controller, the freezer, or a wall plug. If I remember correctly, I cannibalized a heavy duty extension cord for the orange cables (each of which carries 3 wires: hot, neutral, and ground).

ETA: I was just looking at your link. One of the pics is actually a wiring diagram.

Hey bro, congrats on starting your keezer build. Im sure you'll have fun building it. Mines not quite finished yet but it is working.

Ive done a lot of reading on this and you may want to consider SS shanks wherever beer will be flowing thru. Thats my plan once I get the funds.

Make sure you update us with lot of pics, its almost as fun to watch someone build one as it is to build one yourself.

Oh and let me know what route you go with tap handles. I have a good friend who does custom woodwork and could probably build some really nice handles for ya.

enjoy the build!

I'll add one thing about filling bottles off my keezer. I bought a couple of bottle fillers, gave up on them as too cumbersome to use.

Know what I do to fill bottles now? I have Perlick flow-control faucets. I use a growler filler on those faucets to fill bottles; I make sure foam exits the mouth of the bottle and cap on that foam.

I've found the trick is this: first, I draw a glass of beer to cool the faucet and growler filler. I then, in the process of bottling, drink that glass of beer. Second, the bottles are cold, kept in either the keezer or the refrigerator prior to filling. Third, I use a vinator to rinse the insides of the bottles with star-san just prior to filling, BUT that star-san is cold. I'll put a small container of star-san in the fridge with the bottles to cool it, AND I'll add ice-cubes made of star-san to bring that solution down to 32 degrees. A buddy of mine suggested the star-san ice cubes; I thought that was inspired.

I adjust flow as necessary with the flow control on the faucet.

Here's a video showing it:

Know what I do to fill bottles now? I have Perlick flow-control faucets. I use a growler filler on those faucets to fill bottles; I make sure foam exits the mouth of the bottle and cap on that foam.

That's what I do for bottles/growlers that will be consumed in short order. But for longer term bottling, I use a beer gun, which allows CO2 "purging" (flushing really) to reduce O2.

Once you see a wiring diagram, it will make more sense. Wherever (on the diagram) you see multiple "free" wires coming together (i.e. those ends not being attached directly to a device), you'll make a connection with an insulated wire nut. All of that can then be tucked safely into a box. The rest of the wire ends will be attached directly to the controller, the freezer, or a wall plug. If I remember correctly, I cannibalized a heavy duty extension cord for the orange cables (each of which carries 3 wires: hot, neutral, and ground).

ETA: I was just looking at your link. One of the pics is actually a wiring diagram.

Sounds pretty straight forward. The hard part for me will be knowing what wires in the freezer tie into the controller. May come back here to hit you up on advice for that!

Hey bro, congrats on starting your keezer build. Im sure you'll have fun building it. Mines not quite finished yet but it is working.

Ive done a lot of reading on this and you may want to consider SS shanks wherever beer will be flowing thru. Thats my plan once I get the funds.

Make sure you update us with lot of pics, its almost as fun to watch someone build one as it is to build one yourself.

Oh and let me know what route you go with tap handles. I have a good friend who does custom woodwork and could probably build some really nice handles for ya.

enjoy the build!

That's good info on the SS shanks. Makes sense, I'll definitely add that to the list.

I'll add one thing about filling bottles off my keezer. I bought a couple of bottle fillers, gave up on them as too cumbersome to use.

I've found the trick is this: first, I draw a glass of beer to cool the faucet and growler filler. I then, in the process of bottling, drink that glass of beer. Second, the bottles are cold, kept in either the keezer or the refrigerator prior to filling. Third, I use a vinator to rinse the insides of the bottles with star-san just prior to filling, BUT that star-san is cold. I'll put a small container of star-san in the fridge with the bottles to cool it, AND I'll add ice-cubes made of star-san to bring that solution down to 32 degrees. A buddy of mine suggested the star-san ice cubes; I thought that was inspired.

I adjust flow as necessary with the flow control on the faucet.

Here's a video showing it:

This is actually how I fill bottles and growlers currently as well (I have the intertap flow control). However, I have a beer gun that actually works really well so if I can make it easy to hook up to the keezer, I'll want to keep using it.

The hard part for me will be knowing what wires in the freezer tie into the controller.

It will be the three wires inside the freezer's power cord: hot, neutral, and ground. You'll cut the plug off the end (or plug into an extension cord's and cut the plug end off of that). You won't actually need to modify any internal freezer wiring.

ETA: If you use a heavy duty extension cord for the build, you'll basically cut it in half. The half with the receptacle is what you'll plug the freezer into. The half with the plug goes (later!) into the wall outlet. The 6 wires (2 per cord half) get connected per the diagram.

Early on, I bought plated shanks, then later bought a couple stainless ones. I was cleaning the system one day, broke it completely down. Here's what I found; guess which are stainless and which were--were--plated.

shankcorrosion1.jpg
shankcorrosion2.jpg

Back