Bought a chest freezer on craigslist....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjjohns5

Reaction score
I purchased a nice chest freezer on craigslist for $75, advertised as "working like new." When I picked it up the married couple assured me that they had it up and running perfectly that exact same day. I got home and plugged it up...

It hasn't worked for 4 weeks and the couple have been dodging my calls. What should I do? I'm really pissed but I still NEED a chest freezer! I have half a mind to drop it in their driveway behind their cars and put liquid cement in the freezer....

Grrr

you go back to their place with the freezer and demand your money back. if they do not give your money back you take that chest freezer and put it through their front window.

-=Jason=-

Love the cement idea.

You know, if you transport it on its side, you're supposed to let is sit a while upright before you start it. Something about the oil in the compressor.

That's true. Usually the rule of thumb is a few hours. The problem is the capillary in the refrigeration curcuit can get plugged by the oil in the circuit if the freezer (or fridge) is not in the upright position. If the capillary is plugged, the refrigerant cannot flow through the circuit. The time is to allow any oil that has migrated out of the compressor to drain back.

I transported it upright though. And it's been sitting there for 4 weeks now, and still doesn't work.

I transported it upright though. And it's been sitting there for 4 weeks now, and still doesn't work.

like I said you and a couple buddies need to return it via the front window.

lesson learned when buying a used fridge or freezer make them plug it in a few days before hand and turn to the coldest setting. so when you arrive to check it out you know its working.

-=Jason=-

Back