botttle cap moving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
Today I went to pick up at the LHBS the capper for capping my first batch. The lady told me that it was normal after I capped them that the caps would still move.

When the pressure builds they will stop moving.

So not to be worried about if I can still move them after.

Is this right?

Thanks
Eric

Not move? You mean they will still be loose? In my experience, the caps are cinched on the bottles pretty tightly. They don't wiggle or twist at all. Sounds like bs to me. You want a tight seal to prevent infection and ensure proper carbing. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a different opinion though.

Ditto, the caps should not move after you crimp them on until you take them off with an opener. File this under "bad advice from the LHBS." What kind of capper did you buy?

ive capped about 50 gallons so far and none of the caps have been loose. all have been really tight.

not sure what that person was thinking.

I've had caps that could spin, maybe that what they meant. It's common when uaing a sanitizer such as Star-San. Once it dries the caps stay put.

I rented one .. I'll try it on a empty see if it moves and try to find another one if it does.

If something doesn't sound right.. it's not ! :)

All right, I got back home after work and gave the bottle capper a try before I actually put beer into it and they are not moving.. nice and tight. I have no clue why the lady told me that.

Oh well .. tonight it's bottling time on my first batch

Thanks for the replies

Eric

Yes they rent it for 2.95$ since I didn't know if I was going to like making beer I only bought what I really needed and in the future will be adding equipment.

I've had caps that could spin, maybe that what they meant. It's common when uaing a sanitizer such as Star-San. Once it dries the caps stay put.

+1 .... When I first switched to star-san, about half the caps would spin on the bottle right after capping because the star-san is so slippery. It freaked me out at first, but it doesn't effect carbonation at all.

Yes they rent it for 2.95$ since I didn't know if I was going to like making beer I only bought what I really needed and in the future will be adding equipment.

I don't think that disliking beer making is going to be a problem. It seems like anyone who wanted to had the initiative to start doing it in the first place is likely to continue.

Back