Bottom drain keggles - any regrets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehaun

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A question for those of you that have set up your brewery using bottom drain keggles - with 2" triclamp fittings - Do you have any regrets doing it that way as opposed to using a dip tube? Thanks!

I like my bottom drain, but I only use it for cip, and draw from the side to drain my wort. It make clean up so easy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I have a side draw diptube on my BK because I prefer it for whirlpooling, but I love the bottom drains I have on my HLT and MLT.

I have a three tier bottom draining system with no dip tubes. Clean up is easy, my BK and HLT are bolted to the wall and I've never had to remove them even for cleaning. End of my brew day I leave all the drain valves open and it drop dries.

Cons- I can't easily convert to propane or natural gas without custom burners. This becomes an issue since I'm moving and may not have access to the high amperage outlets I need.

I use a bottom drain keg for my MLT. It works great, and I get every last drop of sweet goodness. Pretty much zero dead space and high efficiency.

Back