Bottom Drain Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ReverseMonk

Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm thinking about converting an extra keggle I have to a bottom drain with a 2" triclover in my never ending quest to move to electric brewing (top's already cut, otherwise I would you the existing fitting).

My main question is, does anyone CIP their bottom draining MLT with a 2" fitting? Does it work? I can see having to coerce the thick, spent mash out with some extra water and dowel, broom handle, or similar. Just curious what others experiences are, if any.

The current method of carrying the keggle of spent mash out to the side yard for disposal and cleaning is getting tough on the old back and just planning for the future.

Cheers,
Brian

BBBF

Reaction score
Even if all the grain would drain through the bottom hole, which I don't think it will, how would you remove the false bottom so that it could? You could use a shop vac and suck everything out dump that, then romove the false bottom & CIP the rest of the way.

burdbrew

Reaction score
I use a bag in the mash tun. Post mash, I tip the keg on its side and move the bag and contents to a bucket. I stand it back up and spray it out. Not 100% CIP, but not hard work. I love the upside down keg mash run, works outstanding.