• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Virginia Bottom Drain Keggle and Single PID Control Box - $425

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosstradamus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SOLD....................

Looking for a local buyer (Arlington, VA/DC Metro). Here is what is included:

Partially shined up bottom drain keggle with a 4500w foldback Camco element that is mounted with a silver soldered TC fitting. As you can see, the sight glass is not quite plumb, but that doesn't impact the utility of it...it also has a guard around it. The bottom drain is also a TC fitting. The only thing that needed is a 1/2" valve (I needed the one that was mounted for my new rig)

Control box is a Hoffman enclosure with an Auberins SYL-2352 PID, a RTD temperature sensor, two switches to control two 120v Outlets and an e-stop. The 30 amp GFCI cable was bought from Hosfelt. I am also including the outlet, about 6 feet of romex and a Square D 2 pole 30amp breaker.

The copper heat exchanger was used as part of my e-herms setup. Is was actually used on another keggle, so it is only slightly larger than the opening. I soldered some 1/2 couplings to keep it from falling in, but it will need an additional mod to make it "wider".

DSC_2756.jpg

DSC_2757.jpg

DSC_2760.jpg

I'm only an hour away (western end of 66) and looking to get into brewing so this may be perfect for me. A few questions first. So the keggle is set up with the bottom cut off and the original opening at the top pointed down with a 2" triclamp fitting attached and then a stainless tube that drops down, correct? Where did you have the rtd sensor mounted? And then you are also including a copper immersion chiller? Approximately how long did it take you to heat water with the element? Did you have any issues with scorching (it would be excellent if you had tried BIAB)? Also could you elaborate on how the element is mounted (my main concern is how secure). It looks like it is soldered on the inside and then the element is threaded into a 1" adapter? Very excited to hear back hope I am the first to have replied. Thanks.

I didn't have the RTD sensor attached......I used the same sensor for my HLT, MLT and BK.

How long does it take to heat?....I guess it depends on the starting point and target. I have used a calculator that I found here on HBT, and my times were not far from the excel calculated times.....2 degrees per minute?

I have about 30 batches with electric elements.....never had a problem with scorching....but I do clean my elements after every brew.

The copper coil was used for HERMS, but it could probably also as an immersion.

The TC fitting is silver soldered to the keg. The TC on the element side has threading to accept a standard heating element. The cover is between the element and the TC ferrule.

I used a small 12v pump to circulate water from the bottom drain thru the hole in the top of the heat exchanger.

PM sent with contact info

DSC_2761.jpg

DSC_2764.jpg

Back