Bottling with growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I bottled my IPA yesterday (warrior and green bullet... Mmmmmm!) and found I had about twelve more 12oz bottles than normal. I anticipated only 6 more so I had about a six pack more beer than bottles available. Then a thought hit me. Why not use a 64oz growler to condition? I was able to fill it to the line just below the neck.

Will this be ok? I don't see why it wouldn't suffice but it's my first time trying and I wanted to inquire with the HBT members to see if I am out of bounds on this. Thanks for your responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it before (in a pinch), but only with my Stone Brewing swing top growler. It's a much thicker glass than your traditional cheap growler.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSIJU1E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

ive got 6 of these growlers mine were from a supply shop not stone but ive bottled in them for years and some have been stored for years while carbed. they are very thick and heavy built if you are using these i wouldnt have to much concern

Last edited by a moderator:
Be really, really careful with this. Growlers are not rated for the pressure associated with carbonating beer and can explode with enough force to send glass through drywall, through you, through the dog, etc.

If it was me, I'd drink that beer flat. If you're determined to let it condition, put the growler in a sturdy box someplace where the kids/SWMBO, etc won't mess with it, open it extremely carefully, and then never do it again. Here's someone else's experience.

www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=446554

Be really, really careful with this. Growlers are not rated for the pressure associated with carbonating beer and can explode with enough force to send glass through drywall, through you, through the dog, etc.

If it was me, I'd drink that beer flat. If you're determined to let it condition, put the growler in a sturdy box someplace where the kids/SWMBO, etc won't mess with it, open it extremely carefully, and then never do it again. Here's someone else's experience.

www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=446554

I would agree that I wouldn't bottle into a screw on, thin glassed growler. That's asking for problems. I believe a thick glass, swing top growler on the other hand should be a safe vessel. It's going to hold the pressure a lot better and the top should blow off before the bottle shatters. I like to think of these type of growlers as large Grolsch bottles.

Back