Bottling while krausen present?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

reibrew

Reaction score
I just did a biab centennial blonde. Been in the primary for 10 days now and there's a thick, creamy krausen layer on top that looks to be about a quarter inch thick that won't seem to fall.

I'm thinking of just racking and bottling it, because I want to get another one going on a bit of the yeast cake.

Also: it's down to 1.007

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

winterc

Reaction score
If you have another fermenter, you might be able to top crop the krausen. I've done it a few time with buckets. If you bottle it before it's done you risk exploding bottles. What does the hydrometer tell you? Have you checked it 3 days in a row and seen the same reading?

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've had layers of gunk still floating on top of my beer before, even weeks after fermentation finished. I just make a hole in it for the racking cane and rack out from under it.

OP
R

reibrew

Reaction score
This krausen looks really waxy. I haven't opened it, it's the new style coopers fermenter so I can see it pretty well. Top of the bucket is showing no condensation at all. Probably safe. Tastes awesome. I'll report back on this in a few weeks to tell if anything blew up :p

Hopper5000

Reaction score
what yeast? if it's a top cropping yeast they you are probably fine. if you can cold crash then that should do the trick