Bottling - when/how to add sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeskill

Reaction score
So I'm sure this has been asked before, but a couple searches didn't turn up what I was looking for. So I've identified the amount of sugar I need based on the amount of atmospheres of CO2 I want in my beer, add that to some boiled water and then pour it into my bottling tub and mix. A few times, however, I've found some bottles end up less carbonated than others, all other things being held constant. Should I really be stirring for a while to make sure the sugar gets equally distributed? Or letting it sit for a while after stirring? Or making sure I mix in any settled yeast at the bottom? Any thoughts at all? I haven't been particularly diligent about stirring before bottling, but usually do try to give it some lazy swirls for a minute or two-trying not to disturb any sediment at the time.

So I'm sure this has been asked before, but a couple searches didn't turn up what I was looking for. So I've identified the amount of sugar I need based on the amount of atmospheres of CO2 I want in my beer, add that to some boiled water and then pour it into my bottling tub and mix. A few times, however, I've found some bottles end up less carbonated than others, all other things being held constant. Should I really be stirring for a while to make sure the sugar gets equally distributed? Or letting it sit for a while after stirring? Or making sure I mix in any settled yeast at the bottom? Any thoughts at all? I haven't been particularly diligent about stirring before bottling, but usually do try to give it some lazy swirls for a minute or two-trying not to disturb any sediment at the time.

I don't stir at all.

I put the sugar solution into the bottling bucket, and use .75-1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon.

Then, I rack the beer into the bottling bucket. The key for me is to have a long piece of tubing, and I lay it in a circular pattern around the inside of the bottling bucket, so that the beer fills from the bottom and swirls to mix without any splashing or stirring.

You shouldn't have any sediment at all in your bottling bucket, since you rack from above the trub, so you want to mix it from the bottom.

Brilliant-thanks! I'm bottling today, so I'll give this a go and hope it works for me, too!

Sugar solution first then rack the beer on top. Probably overkill but I do give the beer a very gentle stir occasionally while filling the bottles, maybe 2-3 times throughout the 5 gallons. Important to be very gentle if you do stir.

What "ParadingBull" said. Plus, I would boil the sugar with the water for ~5-10 minutes. Will blend best with the beer if it's not too thick & syrupy, so I usually use 2 c. of water.

Sugar solution first then rack the beer on top. Probably overkill but I do give the beer a very gentle stir occasionally while filling the bottles, maybe 2-3 times throughout the 5 gallons. Important to be very gentle if you do stir.

If you're going to stir at all, I would only do it before you start bottling. After that, if it was thoroughly mixed, you won't accomplish anything (good) by additional stirring.

Yooper's approach works really well, and you'll need very little stirring.

Has anyone ever used fruit juice instead of corn sugar when bottling. I'm thinking of using grapefruit juice when I bottle my IPA. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Only issue with using juice or honey or other alternate priming sugars is knowing exactly how much carbonation you're gonna get.

Do you trust the label's analysis of so many grams of sugar per serving?

With your own measured amount of priming sugar, you know what you're getting.

There are several different priming calculators online that tell you how much to use if using sucrose, dextrose,etc. but I usually only trust the sucrose and dextrose numbers.

I bottled up two batches today. I poured the boiled and cooled DME and water solution into the keg and then let it sit for 10 minutes (gave it a few easy swirls) and then dispensed into the bottles using a Blickmann beer gun. I tried carbonation tables once before, but was unhappy with the floating bits they bring to the table. Once, as an experiment, I cut sugar cubes in half and popped them into a half dozen bottles prior to priming the rest. The sugar cubes actually primed with no ill effects. I do not plan on repeating that experiment, but it was interesting. If bottling from a bucket, put the priming liquid in the bucket prior to putting in the beer.

I bottled up two batches today. I poured the boiled and cooled DME and water solution into the keg and then let it sit for 10 minutes (gave it a few easy swirls) and then dispensed into the bottles using a Blickmann beer gun. I tried carbonation tables once before, but was unhappy with the floating bits they bring to the table. Once, as an experiment, I cut sugar cubes in half and popped them into a half dozen bottles prior to priming the rest. The sugar cubes actually primed with no ill effects. I do not plan on repeating that experiment, but it was interesting. If bottling from a bucket, put the priming liquid in the bucket prior to putting in the beer.

out of curiosity, why bottle immediately from a keg? Why not force carb, then bottle (or leave in the keg)?

I've said it before and i'll say it again. The first upgrade to my kit was the 1/2" auto siphon. When doing it the way Yooper says (also my way) the speed of the 1/2" flow mixes it very well and when I switched I had no more uneven carbonation.

per the OP,,,he says."boiled water and then pour it into my bottling tub and mix." I hope you are not pouring the hot boiled sugar water into your bottling bucket.

out of curiosity, why bottle immediately from a keg? Why not force carb, then bottle (or leave in the keg)?

A very good question. The reason being that I do not have a refrigerator for my kegs ( I drink them at room temperature and just chill the mug ). Getting the right amount (predictable levels) of carbonation is therefore chancy. I can eliminate temp as a variable by doing it that way. I can also lessen exposure to oxygen somewhat. I purge the keg then dispense into it, purge again briefly and then bottle with the beer gun. I just started doing it this way. Previously, if I wanted to share bottles with my friends they would usually get a growler, with some head space ( due to using the picnic tap ) and the carbonation would be off somewhat. Another huge downside of using the growlers is that I was giving away too much of the precious beer! Once I get a new electrical panel and clear out some space in the garage, I will try and fit a fridge in there.

per the OP,,,he says."boiled water and then pour it into my bottling tub and mix." I hope you are not pouring the hot boiled sugar water into your bottling bucket.

Good point. You definitely need to chill that priming solution temperature down to right around where your beer is at.

I've been bottling straight from the primary, using sugar cubes to prime the bottles. I haven't gotten to the point where I care about getting volume of CO2 just right for the style -- one "Domino Dots" cube in a 11oz or 12oz bottle, or two in a 22oz bomber, is about right for me.
In a 1 liter plastic screw-cap bottle, 2 of the larger (and easier to find) C&H sugar cubes is the right amount.

Good point. You definitely need to chill that priming solution temperature down to right around where your beer is at.

:confused: Why? It is only 2 cups (or less) of boiling sugar water. The bucket can handle it, and the beer cools it almost immediately. The few yeast that die in those first few seconds are not going to missed.

:confused: Why? It is only 2 cups (or less) of boiling sugar water. The bucket can handle it, and the beer cools it almost immediately. The few yeast that die in those first few seconds are not going to missed.

My reasoning is this: You've already put in so many hours of work making the beer to that point, and it only takes 5-10 minutes to cool down the solution in a cold bath after boiling, why risk anything at that point? Sure, it may not be a critical step, but it's one that I take every time I bottle.

My reasoning is this: You've already put in so many hours of work making the beer to that point, and it only takes 5-10 minutes to cool down the solution in a cold bath after boiling, why risk anything at that point? Sure, it may not be a critical step, but it's one that I take every time I bottle.

But two cups of a boiling liquid into 5 gallons of 65 degree beer won't make a bit of difference. It will cool very quickly as the beer is racked into it, and it won't kill the yeast needed for carbonation. it won't hurt, but it won't help either, so either way is perfectly fine.

Okay then. Don't I feel silly.
I do 3 gallon batches, though. Would you say that's still more than enough to worry about cooling the solution first?

Okay then. Don't I feel silly.
I do 3 gallon batches, though. Would you say that's still more than enough to worry about cooling the solution first?

Don't feel silly. It is certainly not "wrong" do chill the solution, as Yooper has already stated. I did it too the first couple times until I read here that it wasn't necessary. I am all about doing what is necessary and doing it the best way. This is just one of those times when it really doesn't matter. And the less messing around with it, the less chance for something to go wrong (in my mind).

As to your question, 3 gallons is plenty of liquid to not need to worry. I've even done it in with a one gallon batch.

if you were doing 1-gallon batches, a cup of boiling syrup might raise the temperature enough to notice, but it won't raise it enough to hurt the yeast. (I used to know how to calculate how much the temp would rise) With 3 gallons, I think you'd need a pretty good thermometer to even see it.

If cooling the sugar water keeps you from worrying, then do it. :) But the yeast won't care either way.

Well if the yeast don't care, than neither do I.. I just always went by what Palmer said in How to Brew. He mentions letting the solution cool, but doesn't really go in-depth about why.

From this day forth, I will no longer chill my priming solution!

A very good question. The reason being that I do not have a refrigerator for my kegs ( I drink them at room temperature and just chill the mug ). Getting the right amount (predictable levels) of carbonation is therefore chancy. I can eliminate temp as a variable by doing it that way. I can also lessen exposure to oxygen somewhat. I purge the keg then dispense into it, purge again briefly and then bottle with the beer gun. I just started doing it this way. Previously, if I wanted to share bottles with my friends they would usually get a growler, with some head space ( due to using the picnic tap ) and the carbonation would be off somewhat. Another huge downside of using the growlers is that I was giving away too much of the precious beer! Once I get a new electrical panel and clear out some space in the garage, I will try and fit a fridge in there.

why not just add priming sugar to the keg, seal it up, and let it carbonate in the keg?

why not just add priming sugar to the keg, seal it up, and let it carbonate in the keg?

I have done that before too, and if I am not in a hurry, that is how I prefer to carbonate; But if I want a bunch of bottles to share or refrigerate, it is not worth busting out the beer gun for only a few bottles. Since I have to clean it and what not.

Latest posts

Back