Bottling what to avoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarTeBrew

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

So I bottled few batches already. Some brews were ok to me but great to my friends. Because I am still learning I wonder if you can share what errors to avoid when bottling. I am asking after sanitization let's say with NO RINSE StarSan.

For example:
1. How long we can keep bottles in the room temp (~68F-72F) for carbonation?
2. Usually, there is 3.5 - 4.0 oz of priming sugar per 5 gals - what is the limit to not create a bottle bomb?
3. Is FG 1.010 always safe to bottle?

From your experience what are the edges of making mistakes during the bottling process?

1. I carbonate at ~70F for three weeks, then into the fridge. They're usually done carbing after two weeks, but that extra week of age tends to result in a better beer.

2. Use a priming calculator like the one from Brewer's Friend.

3. Bottle only when FG is stable for a few days. In other words, measure FG, wait 2-3 days, and measure FG again. If it hasn't changed, go ahead and bottle. If it does change, wait another 2-3 days and remeasure.

Hi Brewers,

So I bottled few batches already. Some brews were ok to me but great to my friends. Because I am still learning I wonder if you can share what errors to avoid when bottling. I am asking after sanitization let's say with NO RINSE StarSan.

For example:
1. How long we can keep bottles in the room temp (~68F-72F) for carbonation?
2. Usually, there is 3.5 - 4.0 oz of priming sugar per 5 gals - what is the limit to not create a bottle bomb?
3. Is FG 1.010 always safe to bottle?

From your experience what are the edges of making mistakes during the bottling process?
1. Until you drink them, but they may get skunky or oxidized after a month as those temps.

2. For standard 12oz bottles its 3.0 volumes. Use a priming calculator to determinehow much sugar to use for the amount of volume you have.

3. Only bottle when your final gravity is stable for 3 days.

edit: Damn, @3 Dawg Night beat me to it.

1. How long can you keep from drinking all the beer. The longest my beers have been in the bottles at room temp was 2 years (a stout) and that was very good yet, better than it was at a year. Pale ales or IPA's will lose the hop aroma in about 3 months unless strict control of oxygen ingress during the entire brewing time is done. Spiced holiday ales lose their spice flavor in about 6 months.
2. You should always use a priming calculator because there will always be some carbonation in the finished beer and that amount can vary depending on the temperature of the beer. Here's one to get you started. Beer Priming Calculator | Brewer's Friend
3. NO! I've had a saison go down to 0.997. Use your hydrometer to make sure the fermentation is over.

Thank you all for the replies. I am using BeerSmith and follow all calculations I could squeeze from BS3.
So checking FG and over two days it didn't change but carboy still produces bubbles every minute or two.

I keep bottles in the basement where the temp is around 68 F. I am using siphoning at a slow rate when transferring to the plastic bucket.

1. How long can you keep from drinking all the beer. The longest my beers have been in the bottles at room temp was 2 years (a stout) and that was very good yet, better than it was at a year. Pale ales or IPA's will lose the hop aroma in about 3 months unless strict control of oxygen ingress during the entire brewing time is done. Spiced holiday ales lose their spice flavor in about 6 months.

I assume I will not have to worry about IPAs keeping it for two-three weeks in room temp before transferring to the fridge?

It took a long time for my Staut and Porter to get carbonated, after 3 weeks in room temp, but this was probably related to a long fermentation (over a month in secondary) and fermentation in 65-67 F resulted in dry beer.

My IPAs usually carbonate quicker but this is probably due to the one-two weeks of fermentation.

I brew since October 2020 and a lot of puzzles still on the table, a lot to learn.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Back