Bottling uncarbonated beer from keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kneelb4zod

Reaction score
Hello All,

I see a lot of posts/threads about bottling from a keg using a beer gun or other methods, but I have a different question. I wanted to bottle a couple of 22 oz. bottles of beer from a corney keg that I just filled. Instead of racking the beer from the secondary into the bottles, then kegging the rest, I filled and sealed the keg first. I put a few carbonation tablets in each empty bottle, connected the filled corney keg to my CO2 tank, and filled 2 bottles from the tap using about 3-5 psi. I forgot to chill the bottles beforehand, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Since the beer hasn't been carbonated yet, I can't see how this would cause any problems with the bottled beer? I read about oxidation from bottling carbonated beer, but I haven't seen anyone mention this method. Basically I'm bottling the same way I would using an auto-siphon and wand, I'm just using CO2 to get the beer from the tap into the bottles.

Any comments would be appreciated. Worst case is that I only lost 2 bottles of my precious homebrew...if they do oxidize and go bad.

Thanks!

Rob

You're fine. I've done this sort of thing before.

I prime kegs with sugar and let them naturally carb. If I want to bottle some, as soon as I put the sugar and beer into the keg, I can hook it to the CO2 (low pressure) and tap, and fill some bottles. Then cap them.

Kegs carbs up in a few weeks, and so do the bottles.

Back