Bottling to a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
Is it possible/advisable to bottle to a growler with a screw on cap? Will it be able to carbonate in there?

I have about six growlers from various brew pubs and thought this would be a good way to put them to use.

Thanks.

Well, I didn't think so, but thought I'd ask. It's just a shame that I have all these empty growlers sitting around :(

Oh well.

Thanks.

I've done it before and it carbonates ok, but the problem with a really large container like that is you waste a LOT of beer unless you pour it all off at once. Every time you tip the bottle it stirs up yeast, and towards the end you have about a pint of beer with yeast swirling around in it. That's fine for a hefe, but most people don't want to drink it. It's pretty much the equivalent of wasting one bottle out of each six pack.

Ok, I'll concede on the possible. I've just never had much luck with holding pressure in screw top growlers. The caps tend to distort if you tighten them too much.

Of course, you can always call it REAL ale, if it doesn't carbonate. ;) That solves the yeast problem as well.:D

Well, I guess I just won't take the chance of whether it'll carbonate or not. And, I hadn't thought of the yeast thing.

Guess I'll just have to take them back to the brew pubs get refilled!! :mug:

I agree, I think you should send those ole growlers to me!
Seriously, except for having to drink all that beer at once I think it should work providing you have a good seal on the cap.

I'd say yes. Absolutely.

My LHBSs have a cap that has a plastic insert (truncated cone shape) that assists with the pressurization. Ipswich Ale (Mercury Brewing in Ipswich MA) has started using these same caps on their distributed growlers. From the yeast at the bottom of theirs, I'd also bet they are bottle conditioning to some point.

top view. I wish they showed an underside, but it seems to have worked just fine for me. Same carbonation as the 12 & 22 oz bottles from the same batch.

Found a good view... http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/3040 It's the 4th one down.

Get more bottles...I wouldnt use growlers as you may have problems with carbonation.

I do know something you can do with those growlers though. Go to the closest brewery and have them filled!! Homebrew is clearly the best but if you can find a brewer who doesnt filter their beer and makes a good brew then thats the next best thing!! I managed to find one and I love going there fridays for free beer and to get my growler filled.

As mentioned, I use the growlers for starters. A small (size #6 I believe) bung fits in it, and I put an airlock on it. I've got 64 ounce starter vessel!

Lorena

Back