bottling time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
My beer has been at final gravity for three days now. Any reason to not go ahead and bottle?

I like to give the beer 3-7 days after FG is reached to clean up any by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Cleaner flavor & clearer beer with less trub at the bottom of the bottles result.

How long has it been in primary? I usually reach final gravity within a week or so but i like to let it stay on the yeast cake for about 3 weeks (total) or so to let the yeast clean up after themselves, however if you would like to bottle now you can you would probably just like the end result a little better if you give it time :mug:

I've tried to ask this question before.

Ignoring the trub in the bottle, will the beer itself taste/look different if that extra time takes place in the bottle instead of in the fermenter?

Same question for kegs. (And is trub a bigger issue in kegs?)

There would be a little less trub in the bottle if it's given more time for it to fall out in the fermentor.

I typically leave most beers for 4 weeks these days.

I pour the yeast into the glass for some of my brews. I think it adds to the flavor. Not having floating specs of trub makes it look better in the glass.

Back