Bottling Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer4life

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just made my first mead and I'm thinking ahead to bottling time. I want to use (5) 1 gallon bottles when it's finished. A couple I want to drink right away but I also want to age a couple. Are there suggestions on what to cap with for the ones I want to age?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd use bombers and beer bottles, and use a crown capper. Unless you plan on drinking the whole gallon VERY quickly once opened. Each time you pour, you're exposing more and more mead to oxygen, which will eventually cause off flavors (1-3 weeks)

Ok. And there is no carbonation needed for those?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its probably not very approved of, but I always just sanitized and used the caps that came with the jugs (picked them up full of apple juice originally). I always have a drinking night with 3 or 4 friends so the jugs were almost always gone by the end of the night :tank:. The few times it wasn't all gone it seemed alright after some time, but it wasn't the highest quality back then to begin with.

I think I saw plastic caps from midwest supplies when I was looking advertised for use on gallon jugs. I would just measure the neck opening to get the right ones.

Just use 22oz beer bottles: easier to handle, not too much to drink(well, maybe), if one bursts you can vent the rest w/o breakage, faster to cool, can add different flavors to several from a single gallon, easier to conceal. Try to knock out all yeast before bottling, so you have to rack only once. I use nitrogen to flush headspace, and will be switching to CO2.

Back