"bottling" still cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuburnBeer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question regarding bottling and storing of a still cider. I currently have 5 gallons in my primary and wish to age in something different. I'd like advice about sanitizing the gallon plastic bottles my apple juice can in and racking the completed still cider into them. Do I need to put them in the fridge? Can they stay sealed at room temp without spoiling? Are preservatives required? Dumb idea?

Thanks to all,

RB

the caps wont create an airtight seal now that they've been opened. i would look for alternatives. the good news is that since you have still cider and not carbed, you have many more options.

empty growlers and empty wine jugs (from cheap wine like carlo rossi) can be used with polyseal caps like these

Ben's Home Brew.com. Home Brewing, Wine Making, Beer Supplies and Wine Supplies

they wont let any oxygen in. also you can use wine bottles but you should get a cheap wine vacuum sealer for like 10 bucks.

i love the flip top bottles at ikea, they are 1 liter clear bottles for $2 each.

Back