Bottling sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20000Barrels

Reaction score
So I bottled a Triple Belgian. I have on tester in a 12oz bottle and the rest were in 22 oz. The 12 oz really tasted sweet and not drinkable.

So I let them sit for another.

I cracked a deuce deuce last night and it tasted good.

So my question is when it comes to bottling does the size of the bottle have that big of impact?

Another question on the Belgian. Is it true that sugar carbonation is the preferred method over CO2?

Thanks

The bigger bottles usually take a little longer to carb up...

Fo r your second question, very few Belgians are kegged. Most are bottle conditioned. The thing about Belgians is they really do improve with age. The more you let them sit the better they get. They are different than most beers.

I drink all of my IPA's , wheats and a lot of other beers young but the Belgians I let age. It is worth the wait.

Kegs and Co2 are less time consuming, and take up less space. But they cost and you need a place to store and serve from. The Triple will take a while to condition. It should be very good in a few months, and better longer. May I suggest starting another batch, for a faster turn around, and let the Triple sit. Bottle size will not change carbonation or conditioning. Brew another (Ale?) and let this one age. You will be very pleased; even if you only save a couple, try them in six months and you will taste the benefit of a good Triple. Cheers:)

Thaks for the input.
This is a strong Tripple that is already improving in just a couple of weeks.
I love brewing!

Back