Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

124Spider

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a search, and found nothing. Forgive me if I missed it.

I'm planning to bottle on Thursday (red ale, from a Brewer's Best kit; my first time other than one batch from Mr. Beer). I have an adequate supply of various-sized bottles, sanitizer, etc.

I plan to sanitize everything that will touch the beer. I don't plan to boil or otherwise clean previously-used bottles I'll be re-using, or newly-purchased bottles I'll be using the first time; I plan only to soak all bottles in sanitizer, empty as well as I can, and then fill (not worrying about them being absolutely dry).

I'm planning to transfer from the carboy to the bucket by gently siphoning.

I'm planning to transfer from the bucket to the bottles by plastic hosing, with the wand-thing at the end.

I'm planning to keep the bottles at cold room temperature (perhaps 64 degrees Fahrenheit) for several weeks, and then putting bottles into the fridge a few at a time.

Is there anything significantly wrong with this plan?

Thanks!

Mark

Well,first of all,bottle carbing & conditioning temp needs to be at least 70F to properly carbonate & in the usual 3-4 week time frame. Conditioning at low ferment temps doesn't really work.
And always make sure the bottles are cleaned & rinsed. Sanitizer will not clean them. You can't short cut that part. Otherwise,sanitize anything that touches the beer after it is cleaned & rinsed.

I don't see anything that jumps out at me. Make sure that your beer is done fermenting by using your hydrometer, usually 2 reading a couple days apart. If they match and seem like a reasonable reading you're ready to bottle. Your bottles will carbonate quicker if you put them somewhere warmer for a week or more. I put mine at room temp and store them there.

You need to clean your bottles. Sanitizer doesn't work on dirty surfaces. But some PBW (or oxy clean) and soak the bottles in hot water with it. Any thing that's dirty in them will dissolve away. Rinse thoroughly, then sanitize.

Back