Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I've found that my beer always loses quite a bit of carbonation, initially, when I chill them. After a while the carbonation comes back, but I'm wondering how long it usually takes for this to happen.

I bottled Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale about 10 days ago and it seems to be carbed nicely. I have some friends visiting in 10 days and I'm wondering when I should put these beers in the fridge so they have time to regain their carbonation. Let me know what you think, and thanks for any advice you may have.

Ten days is really not quite done yet, although I always taste test on after 7 days they are still fermenting and carbonating for two or three weeks. Keep in mind the 1-2-3 rule. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary and three weeks in the bottle. Most beers will be pretty much carbed after two weeks, chilling the beers before this will slow or stop the fermentation. After they are finished, two or three days in the 'fridge should be perfect.

after a good 3 weeks in the bottle, you'll want to chill 2-3 days in advance. as the liquid cools, the CO2 can be absorbed, but it takes a while to happen, and to evenly distribute to the entire 12oz.

21 days at 70 degrees
21 days at 70 degrees
21 days at 70 degrees
21 days at 70 degrees
21 days at 70 degrees

If you can’t do this.

17 days at 72 degrees, agitate the bottles every other day

Then chill for three days and enjoy. :D