Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrmanotb

Reaction score
Hey guys good to meet you all. Iam new to this so please forgive the very newb question.
OK can you bottle mead in plastic bottles (I can see the shudders from here:)
If not why. Does it change the taste. Does it ruin the mead.
anyway any suggestions would be helpful thks

No way never. Mead needs to age a looooooong time in the bottle. i have 3 or 4 bottles over 10 years old.

Plastic is porous and allows oxygen to pass through. Your mead will get aerated badly and will not age well. Get yourself some nice glass wine bottles and do the mead justice. After all that time spent waiting for it, you don't want to do it the indignity of pouring it from a soda bottle ;)

Janx said:
No way never. Mead needs to age a looooooong time in the bottle. i have 3 or 4 bottles over 10 years old.

Plastic is porous and allows oxygen to pass through. Your mead will get aerated badly and will not age well. Get yourself some nice glass wine bottles and do the mead justice. After all that time spent waiting for it, you don't want to do it the indignity of pouring it from a soda bottle ;)

I have never had any mead but am kinda interested in making some. Is it carbonated.......or you just make it like wine......anyone have a recipe for a first timer? I just want to make a small batch say three gallons. Do you cork it like wine....just wondering.....Wow ten years old. I have made several batches of wine, but with mead not sure of all the ingredients, any help would be appreciated.

I'm getting into mead...tasted some at a hbs. The possibilities are endless, but the basic recipe is 10-15 pounds honey, water to make 5 gallons, and yeast. You can add fruit and spices....it can be carbonated or not (I would prefer not, I think) Do a little web browsing...you'll learn alot. They have mead yeasts or you can use a wine yeast...you want a yeast that can tolerate higher alcohol content. I'm quite new to mead, and learning, but I think this information is correct.

Yep, that sounds about right.

Mead takes forever to ferment and forever and a day to age and taste good.

You need to add nutrients that honey lacks that the yeast needs.

You also need to add acidity from fruit or another source.

My 10 year old bottles are corked, but you can cap it like beer too.

I got the last 4 credits I needed to graduate college for doing a couple of different mead projects. Never undervalue higher education ;)

Bottled the Raspberry Mead today. And of coarse had to have a little sip. It's good.

image.jpg

Back