Bottling process - swing top/Grolsch style bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I recently scored a huge lot of swing-top Grolsch, Ez-cap and Fischer bottles for price of nuthin. About 170 bottles in all, so I'm going to get rid of my 12oz bottles.. I'm going through the cleaning step and replacing the gaskets, but need to bottle a batch this weekend.

Question for those of you who currently bottle with swing-tops: What is your process when bottling? Do you remove the metal swing mechanism and soak the entire part in sanitizer? Leave it on and dip the "top" in?

Any tips you can give me on bottling with these would be helpful. Thanks!

just soak 'em in a big container of star san or iodophor and use a vinator to clean out the insides.

good call to replace the gaskets if they're old.

I make sure everyone one of them looks clean with no gunk inside, then I send them through the washing machine with a hot cycle.
Then I rinse them in starsan or idophor before filling them.
I do find that the replacement gaskets do not last well for long term ageing which is a pain since I also like to use them for meads and ciders.
Currently I have found if I use some food grade silicon after sanitization, and then re-sanitize in a small bowl they last better. I still try to open them within two years though.

We have 60- 70 in works and like them. We replace the gaskets from time to time But the general rule it to give the bottles a normal cleaning ( we soak all bottles in PBW) and hit them with starsan and make sure the top is hit also.
Its a joy to do a 5 gallon batch in grolsch bottles.

i only remove the gasket, soak them, replace gasket in the cleaning solution, and then bottle. never have removed the whole cage assembly.
it seems i read somewhere a long time ago to remove the gasket so no bacteria can hide around it at the ceramic top.

I just throw em in starsan gasket and all...maybe I should rethink that....

if it's been working, no need to change now.:D do you get gushers every once in a while? anyone with more experience know if that might be a sign of contamination? i would think so.

This is an old thread but does anyone have Grolsch swing top botltles for sale?
Thanks
TPH

Back