Bottling now - need quick advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
Thanks for reading this!

I'm all set up and about to bottle and realized that in my bottling bucket spout there's some gunk in there (likely mold) that I can't get out. Not sure if all spouts are like this, but mine is apparently comprised of two major clear pieces plus the red actual spout itself. The two clear pieces rotate which allows you to spin the red spout around if needed. Well, the gunk is in between the where the two pieces meet and since it doesn't disassemble I can't get to it. The gunk isn't in the main flow path, but obviously I'm not looking to take risks.

I'm boiling the entire assembly right now and then will dunk and soak in Star San. Think I'm good or should I ditch it, order a new part, and try again later?

Do you have a bucket without a spigot? You can just rack out of the top of a regular bucket, (hell, run to Home Depot and get a Homer bucket or something) instead of using a spigot.

I think it depends on if you get it clean or not. Boiling water, oxiclean, whatever - if it gets clean, then sanitize and you're ready to go. If it won't come clean, then you can't sanitize it and you'll need to get a replacement or look at other options, as suggested above. Good luck!

Much appreciated guys - going to rack out of an open bucket. Don't know why I didn't think of that to start with! [smacks forehead]

Back