Bottling - not enough bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominator6

Reaction score
Here's the story. I am ready to bottle my first batch of Hefe and want to do it tonight but only have 30 bottles for a 5gal batch. Can I bottle those 30 and leave the rest in the bottling bucket until I get more bottles? I am going to prime it all at once by dumping the priming sugar into the bottling bucket. Please let me know!
Thanks in advance.

In short no.

If you add all your priming sugar to you bottling bucket you will be re activating you yeast by giving them something to munch on. So whatever beer gets sugar added to it an doesnt get bottled is just going to ferment that sugar. Could work if you added sugar to each bottle you were going to use. I would wait because you risk oxidizing your beer with so much headspace.

Wait and get enough bottles.

some people have luck bottling in soda bottles if that helps get enough bottles

First Boil your priming sugar in water. Second don't bottle any or prime it yet!!
Ask friends neighbors and family for bottles.

It will be fine with more time in the fermenter. (how did you not see this coming?lol)

+1 Your CL find is NFG. get more bottles, then add priming sugar.

Extra time bulk aging will help ANY beer, don't sweat it.

4 empty 2 liter soda bottles will put you in business, but it better be good or your friends won't be back to help you with the other three 2 liter bottles...

i added it all up and I should be good. I'll hit the bar up tomorrow night just in case but should be good. Thanks guys. ???? do you guys prime the whole batch or individual bottles? I plan on priming the whole batch at once.

Dominator6 said:
do you guys prime the whole batch or individual bottles? I plan on priming the whole batch at once.

Most of us prime the whole batch all at once as we rack from whatever to the bottling bucket. One step, done.

bigben said:
Were you drunk when you counted the bottles? :)

I probably was. I have been sampling grand Crus' (Grand's Cru?) this week, at 10%. 30 12oz bottles, 18-20 to go, 20 x 12 ozs = 240 ozs, remember I might be druck, 33 oz to the liter, 66ozs in a 2l, x4 is gonna be lessee 240and 24, 264, close enoguh, OP needs 4 two liter bottles to close, whats the problem?

OK. I usually ask questions about whether or not I screwed up. This time I'm almost positive that I did. When I bought these bottles off of craigslist I didn't pay attention to the fact that they were twist off. Honestly, I was so excited about how cool the bottles were (they are the baseball bat shaped 500 homerun club bottles from Coors, signed by Ernie Banks and Jackie Robinson). Anyways, I primed and bottled and just as I was capping I noticed they were twist off.

My question is....what are my chances or them sealing enough, ......or....... can i just buy some amber bottles from the brew store downtown and save them tomorrow night and recap them. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

most will seal some will not
check your bottles the next day 2 see what sealed and what didnt itll be ok but try 2 find pry offs for your next batch

You'll be fine. Just make sure the caps are securely tightened and you'll be fine.

Stop worrying. It goes against homebrew principles.

Back