Bottling my first lager!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrbrgr1969

Reaction score
I'm bottling my first lager and have a couple questions:

1-do I need to add more yeast, or will there be enough dormant cells to wake up and carbonate while conditioning at about 65-68 degrees?

2-can I bottle at 36 degrees, or do I need to bring back to room temp to bottle?

No more yeast! Depending on the size of bottle your using you need to add sugar

I'm bottling my first lager and have a couple questions:

1-do I need to add more yeast, or will there be enough dormant cells to wake up and carbonate while conditioning at about 65-68 degrees?

2-can I bottle at 36 degrees, or do I need to bring back to room temp to bottle?

I bottle conditioned my lager at normal ale temperatures (but have only made a few of them). I also had great results with one of them (steam style).

Sorry to wake this thread back up, but I don't feel as though usrbrgr 1969 got his question #2 answered, and I have the same question.
My (First!) lager is at 38 degrees and is ready to move from secondary to bottles.
Do I warm the beer to 68 degrees or just bottle at current 38?
Once bottled, how long to condition at 65 degrees? -
TIA!
Chris

Sorry to wake this thread back up, but I don't feel as though usrbrgr 1969 got his question #2 answered, and I have the same question.
My (First!) lager is at 38 degrees and is ready to move from secondary to bottles.
Do I warm the beer to 68 degrees or just bottle at current 38?
Once bottled, how long to condition at 65 degrees? -
TIA!
Chris

I don't think it matters if you bottle cold, as long as you bring it up to room temp for conditioning. That will allow the yeast to wake up and do their thing.

Once it's at room temp, it conditions just like any other beer. Three weeks or so, then refrigerate and serve.

Back