Bottling my first batch - hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David20Hersch

Reaction score
bottling my first batch of hefeweizen !!
so far i have been reading about the proper amount of carbonation for a hefe and have decided to go for 3 volumes. i want the carbonation to bite a bit but not dominate the experience. haha i have tried some of my friends batches and it was like i was drinking exploding beer, want the perfect amount. is 3 volumes to much for bottles?

I used brewer's friend calculator and it gave me this. let me know what you think.

Batch size: 4 G

volumes of co2: 3

temp of beer: 63

corn sugar needed: 4.6 oz

I've bottled above 4 volumes without issue. If you are afraid of it being too carbonated you couldu se 4 oz of corn sugar for your 4 gallon batch, although I think that 3 volumes sounds pretty good.

3 volumes is about as high as I'll go with bottles. Folks on here have had success with more, but it's not worth the risk of exploding bottles to me. Even at 3 volumes, I put the bottles in a Rubbermaid bin just in case.

Back